Day three of having water in pool/no pump or filter/help with chemicals please

Tere

Bronze Supporter
May 30, 2015
Colorado Springs
My skimmer gasket was to arrive yesterday( Not), pool filled faster than expected and then used skimmer broke. New stuff arriving Friday. I have a sump pump circulating and breaking the water surface.

Silly me added washing soda according to pool calculator but missed the part about if TA is high it was over 600 ( naturally high calcium in city well water) it's a bad idea. I only added half. It didn't dawn on me the white cloud was a bad sign. So I added Muriatic acid to bring down TA and aerated to bring up pH.

I did lots of scrubbing from out side the pool the adjusted the sump pump to break the water surface. I set the solar cover aside. Is it more helpful off at this point or on partially does it help prevent the bleach reacting with the sun at all?

Water is cloudy white from washing soda I added 22 oz, yes I should have checked in first but maybe it will relax my muscles ; )

My new test numbers are better

I have to base the gallons on 5700 due to the pool not totally filled

July 14,2015:
FC 1.5
CC 0.5 but could be 1.0
TC 2.0-2.5 I don't know why
pH 8.2 but could be higher
TA is 170 wow that's much better
CH 450
CYA 35 ( looks good considering CYA added 3 days ago

Pool calculator says add bleach and muriatic acid? What d you all think? Should I wait for bleach till the night( better utilizes less chlorine loss due to sun-intense sun here due to high altitude- but son flying in and wants desperately to swim? Or is it better to keep the chlorine up?

Thanks

Shoot must run to airport

Live and learn right? :) No problem. Definitely get that PH down right away to around the mid-7s. Let the acid circulate real well with pump on for at least 30 minutes then re-check to confirm. Once you are satisfied with the PH, bump-up your FC with bleach a bit - again ... (safety) wait at least 30 minutes after you've finished with acid. Your target FC is 5 and you never want your FC to go lower than about 3 or you run the risk of getting algae. Yes, normally you would wait until the sun goes down to get the most out of your bleach, but you're really low right now. Adding a little won't hurt.

Remember, if your pump is continuously breaking the water, it may be "aerating" and increasing your PH at the same time. :)

OK things look batter Pat. ; ) FC is 8, that was tested 1 hr after adding bleach. I think I should go half on what the pool calculator says for bleach.

pH 7.5
CC 0.5

Yep I heard pH goes up with aeration but I heard aeration brings TA down ( a lot less milk white now). I read us muriatic acid to bring down TA and pH but bump pH up with aeration. Does that make sense?

The TA is 170
Should I try more Muriatic acid to lower TA and keep areating to compensate if ph drops below 7.2?

Thanks

Sounds like you're heading in the right direction. Keep up the good work!

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and you certainly can try to adjust TA a bit as you mentioned. TA serves as a buffer to PH, so watching PH will be more important right now, but if you can keep them both in the ballpark, that's great. Eventually you should get to a point where you don't have to mess with them much unless there's a major change in water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.