Concrete Questions

NJS

Jul 6, 2014
Kansas
11745397_1137084926307642_3854731156290793489_n.jpg

This is our 20x40 Vinyl IG Pool built in March 2003. As you can see, it is bordered by red bricks. We did not install this pool, and have no contact with the construction company who did, so I am looking here for help. There is a small gap in between the actual concrete pads around the pool and the red bricks. In most parts it is filled with a concrete like substance, but in others there is something that looks like silicone caulking. The silicone parts are starting to lift and pull out, and the concrete like parts are breaking up and falling out. Any suggestions on who to hire to fix this or if it is even a DIY project? The bricks are also falling apart in places, so I am also wondering who to hire to fix those. Any suggestions would be appreciated! I am new to the pool business, we just purchased this house two years ago, and I am wondering if this is normal wear or whether they should have lasted longer. :mad:

Sounds like they used grout and in some areas it was cracking up so the used some caulk to patch it up.
One DIY solution for this would be to dig out the caulk and the grout and then use one of those driveway expansion joint fillers.
It comes in caulk gun tubes. Something like this: http://www.menards.com/main/building-materials/concrete-cement-masonry/concrete-mix/akonaflex-trade-expansion-joint-filler/p-1768863.htm

When you say the "bricks are also falling apart" are they crumbling or are they loose and coming off.
- If they are crumbling and is only the odd brick you could just replace these.
- If it is a lot of them, the original choice of brick was wrong for use as coping. That is a contractor job to replace all your coping.
- If they are just coming loose, then the loose ones need to be removed cleaned of thinset/grout and re-set and re-grouted.

This should be done prior to re doing the expansion joint.

Any good concrete company should be able to get the caulking material to fill those gaps for you. The material is similar to a rubber compound and comes in large caulking tubes. Properly done it should last for a few years. The usual culprits that cause early failure is the fact that the deck heaves with the winter frosts and the pool does not.

It can be done DIY or by a contractor. Old, broken grout should be removed completely including bedding mortar below the bricks if they are loose. An epoxy based grout would be best to use to replace old grout as it will stand up to the pool environment better. A stone mason who regularly does brick and block work would be the best person, if you choose to hire someone.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.