Returning water cloudy

annem

Jul 10, 2013
I have an infinity pool. The overflow part of this has a tank, filter basket 1 inlet to tank and 1 return to pool and does not go via filter thingy. There is another filter basket with 2 down from pool, into filter thingy and 1 back up. The downs are 1 from base of pool and one from side of pool where vacuum plugs in. I know the filter which has glass beads is working as I did a backwash and the water to waste was filthy. Did the wash until water clean then a rinse. The pool has some fluffy looking dirt on the bottom so after the backwash I went to hoover up this dirt. Immediately the inlet was sending out cloudy water. I do not know why nor what to do? Have I given enough info?

Well, you did tell us a lot about your pool "thingys", but honestly, a pic or two may come-in more handy there. :) More importantly though, for the cloudiness in your water, we will need set of good test results. Do you have either a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006 test kit? Either of those are the foundation of your pool care. Why? We've learned through personal experience that you cannot reply on pool store testing, test strips, or simple over-the-counter kits. They simply do not read Free Chlorine (FC) or Cyanuric Acid (CYA) levels accurately or to the high levels we need. If you do not have a TF-100 or Taylor K2006 test kit, it should be your #1 priority.

So with the test kit you would be able to post for us "FC, CC, CYA, PH, TA, and CH". That would be ideal for us to better serve you.

So with the test kit you would be able to post for us "FC, CC, CYA, PH, TA, and CH". That would be ideal for us to better serve you.[/QUOTE]

Ok i can do that. However the pool water itself is pretty clear. If I run the non overflow pump as usual with 2 inlets down to filter and back then water comes in clear. However i have to turn off tne pool floor inlet before vacuuming to get enough suction. So soon as i plug in tne vacuum and go over stuff on floor then water returning to pool is cloudy.

Total hardness 500
total chlorine 3
free chlorine8 have just put some in pool
ph 8
total alkalinity 180
cyanuranic acid 30 to 50

The tap water here is extremely hard.

The pool looks great except for this patch of loose dirt on tne floor tnat leads to cloudy inlet as soon as i vacuum it

Can you confirm where you got those test results please? The reason being is that something is not right. For example, you cannot have an FC of 8 but a TC or 3 because FC + CC = TC. I wonder if your FC didn't drop too low at one point based on the Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart. Your pH is high and should be between 7.2-7.8. TA is also a bit high which may be driving-up your PH, so it could stand to come down to about 120. Yes, it's always ideal to know what your CC (combined chlorine) is as well.

If we know for sure that your water chemistry is indeed good based on the readings from the proper kit, then we can look at other issues that may relate to cloudiness such as filtration and/or water circulation issues. But it all starts with the chemistry. :)

Test strip from aquacheck 7.

Maybe i misread don't really want to use another strip.

As i say the pool looks clear but as soon as i vacuum i can see cloudiness coming into the pool via the inlets which shows up against tne clear pool

Okay, so aside from the method of testing, you appear to have a sand filter if you are backwashing, etc. Have you ever tried adding a bit of DE to your sand filter to improve collecting small particles? Here a re a couple pages you might want to review to see if they help:
Pool School - Routine Pump/Filter Maintenance
Pool School - Add DE to a Sand Filter

Again, because we don't place a lot of faith in test strips and such, there's no guarantee your water is balanced, but in the meantime you can review your filter options to see if that helps. I hope it does. Good luck!

Oh, so they actually are the glass beads. I'm no expert in that area, but I found this thread for you ... just FYI: Replacing Sand with Glass Beads (Pearls)). Maybe some other forum members will have some advice specifically related to that type of media. Have a great day!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.