Bleach versus Cal-Hypo (cost)

May 26, 2014
Richmond, VA
Ok here I am again. I searched online and couldn't find anything definitive. I've been committed to doing BBB method but started wondering if all the bleach will add up to be a ton of $ in the end. Pool store sells Cal-Hypo at $83 for 25 pounds. She said that would last the rest of the season, through pool closing and possibly opening again next year. Concentrated bleach here runs $3 a gallon.

I understand I'm asking for some math here. If you tell me how to calculate it I'd be happy to do them myself. I'm a little lost in that area after reading some posts online with all kinds of calculations regarding available chlorine, etc. Or if you could post a link to a thread where someone has broken this down. I found one but it was based on 6% bleach at $1 a gallon.

(BTW, our current CH is 50 which is why I'm considering Cal-Hypo for the rest of this season at least...but not sure which is better or cheaper)

In a pool your size, 400 ounces (25 lbs) 73%Cal-hypo raises FC by 120. (Effects Of Adding Chemicals at the bottom of poolmath) That means it costs 83.00/120 or $0.692 per ppm.

128 oz of 12.5% bleach is 6.9 FC. $3.00/6.9 = $0.435 per ppm.
128 oz of 10% bleach is 5.6 Fc, so $.535
121 oz (standard Clorox jug) of 8.25% bleach is 4.5 FC so $.667

Bleach is cheaper. However, if you're going to buy Calcium Increaser, then it may cancel out the savings. 25 lbs of Cal-hypo will add 85 CH to your 18,000 gallon pool.

Also remember that cal-hypo is often very slow to dissolve when you throw it in the pool. Since you have a fiberglass pool you'll want to add it and then brush A LOT to make sure the cal-hypo mixes and the solid granules don't just sit in one spot. By contrast, bleach poured over a fast moving return disperses very quickly and only needs a minimal amount of brushing to ensure dispersion.

But yes, since your CH is low, you can certainly use cal-hypo. It's easier to carry than a jug of bleach. You just need to understand its affects on your pool water which is it will add calcium, something that only goes away with water exchanges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In a pool your size, 400 ounces (25 lbs) 73%Cal-hypo raises FC by 120. (Effects Of Adding Chemicals at the bottom of poolmath) That means it costs 83.00/120 or $0.692 per ppm.

128 oz of 12.5% bleach is 6.9 FC. $3.00/6.9 = $0.435 per ppm.
128 oz of 10% bleach is 5.6 Fc, so $.535
121 oz (standard Clorox jug) of 8.25% bleach is 4.5 FC so $.667

Bleach is cheaper. However, if you're going to buy Calcium Increaser, then it may cancel out the savings. 25 lbs of Cal-hypo will add 85 CH to your 18,000 gallon pool.

This also depends on the price of your bleach, we can get 10% here in OK for 2 dollars a gallon right now, bringing the price down to 0.357 cents per PPM :)

We have a store here in Tucson that sells bulk liquid chlorine in refillable, 1 gallon jugs. They come in a 4-up secondary carrier (one time refundable deposit of $6). I don't remember the price off hand but it is a fair bit cheaper than the LC sold at pool stores in disposable gallons or the Clorox in the superstores. If you can find a place near you that supplies bulk-refillable LC, then you can move the price-point in favor of liquid bleach. And you get the benefit of nothing extra added except for a little excess salt and lye in bleach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for the cost breakdown and advice. When I looked into it last year I was told (by a pool store) that liquid chlorine is not sold in Virginia. I can look into getting some from Dollar Tree, which is 6% I believe, but I remember reading that their bleach has been shelved for longer and has probably degraded a decent amount. Regardless, it appears even walmart bleach is a little cheaper than Cal-hypo unless you take the calcium into account.
I appreciate the math help! I'll have to think on it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.