Algae starting?

Apr 3, 2015
Scottsdale, AZ
Since draining and refilling (April) to remove my very high CYA levels, I switched from tabs to liquid pool chlorine for the pool. At times I see green (yikes) inside the umbrella receivers that are under water. The pool also uses a lot of muriatic acid and I struggle to get the pH anywhere near 7.8. The pool is tended to on a daily basis and I test every other day.
I sense the pool is right on the edge of an algae bloom but I hope not.
What can or should I do differently?

I just performed Ihe comprehensive T100 tests with the following results:

pH 8.2
Cl 5
FC 3.5
CC 0
CH 500
CYA 30
TA 88

Thanks in advance.

Sylvester

SLAM it. Maybe it'll only take one day to pass the three tests, but at least you'll know. Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

I'd get a turkey baster or some other kind of squeeze bottle and fill it with bleach. Swim down to those umbrella sleeves with a bottle brush or something to clean 'em out, then take that bleach down and squirt it inside. The bleach will settle in those low spots and kill whatever is in there.

Knock the pH down to 7.2 and then raise the FC to 12 and keep it up there until you pass the three tests. Run everything with the water at shock level, to clear out anything lurking in the lines. And plant the umbrellas a while, too, so any algae spores on them will be killed.

When you pass the three tests, raise your CYA to at least 50. Your minimum FC level will be higher, but your actual daily losses will be less under the Arizona sun which should help you maintain enough FC to keep the algae from ever starting again.

One more question...can I raise the CYA with a floater and tabs? I'm hesitant to do that as it got me in trouble in the first place. If I do that, how long before retesting the CYA?

Thanks
Yes, you can. But wait until AFTER the SLAM, otherwise your shock level will increase.

Take a gander at Effects Of Adding Chemicals down near the bottom of poolmath. If you have your volume entered up top, down there it will tell you the amount of CYA added by each ounce of trichlor. Just figure out how many ounces you can use safely to raise the CYA to your target and use no more than that. When the least of 'em has dissolved, recheck your CYA.

Yes, you can. But wait until AFTER the SLAM, otherwise your shock level will increase.

Take a gander at Effects Of Adding Chemicals down near the bottom of poolmath. If you have your volume entered up top, down there it will tell you the amount of CYA added by each ounce of trichlor. Just figure out how many ounces you can use safely to raise the CYA to your target and use no more than that. When the least of 'em has dissolved, recheck your CYA.

Will do.
By the way, after raising the FC per slamming instructions, I rechecked 8 hours later and it dropped by 10 ppm, I've just added more Cl and have the pump running 24 hours. I also brushed the sides and vacuumed the spa. I think I just might have any algae on the run. This is all odd though, as my pool was very clear even with the green umbrella receivers. I guess the algae was just lurking and ready to go.

Again, many thanks.

Sylvester similar thing happened to me, pool looked perfect, then when FC got too low, BOOM would get some algae on the walls, hardly noticeable but algae still the same, went through SLAM process. I later found there was algae behind the LED light cover

Thanks for all of the help. you were spot on!
I had to slam for 48 hours, but the overnight drop in Cl was zero and no CC. I just adjusted the pH and the Cl is still about 9ppm, but it should drift down. I added one tab (floater) of Cl to increase my CYA and I plan to do a filter clean on Saturday. Thank you for helping me.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.