Obsessive compulsive SLAM testing.

Soooo, hi. I'm new. I can't thank you (whomever "you" is) for putting the time and effort into making this site. One day our pool was clear and a tiny bit cloudy and BAAAMMMM!!! - the next day it's a swamp. Don't tell my husband, but I was tired of watching him fight this puddle of water. Here was his routine: come home from work and "check the pool", ie. dump a Tonka truckload full of pucks in the floaty thing and sprinkle dust in the water and vacuum. I knew something was wrong with either him or him. So, I decided that I don't have enough to worry about but I'd like to take on the giant humidity maker in the backyard. I asked Google what to do and he told me about TFP. Google is smart. Thank you, Google. I spent about three hours reading and going from understanding to being confused as-all-get-out and then understanding again. I obediently ordered the test kit and started dumping bleach in the watering hole until it arrived. I opened the kit like it was a delicate golden egg full of fun and possibilities. I spent time getting to know Precious and learning her ways and running every test available. The satisfaction is glorious; an entire science lab in my kitchen.

I'm slamming the pond right now. I started on the Saturday the 11th at 6:00pm. The CYA was -20 when I started...Jeez. When I started, I had put the CYA in a sock like instructed, but I put that sock into the floaty puck thing... THIS DOES NOT WORK. I then took said sock and tied that sucker with a zip-tie to the leg of our removable ladder and placed it in front of the water return where it can get the heck beat out of it. THIS raised my CYA from below 20 to 30 in less than 24 hours! I am maintaining a CYA of 35 now and I am bouncing between 14 and 16 for my FC. I have tested 9 times since I started at 6:00pm on Saturday, the last one being at 5:50pm this evening.

Finally, my question: It is my understanding that when NOT slamming and Pool Math decides the water needs some CYA, I should add the CYA and then NOT test for the CYA again for a week. However, WHEN slamming, should I still be checking AND adding CYA (if suggested to add) at least twice a day? Or should I not add anymore CYA for a week, as if I weren't slamming? Did I just implode your brains with the double negatives? I don't mind testing for the CYA, I just don't want to over-do the CYA...of course, now that I've said that, I remember that Pool Math is always right...so it doesn't matter, huh?
I'm only focusing on the FC and CYA right now, so I don't have a full set of numbers for you right now. I do know that my CC was zero at last test time because I wanted to play with it.

Okay...blast away; I'm terrible about long posts.

Welcome. Test the cya level------take it to 30 if not there, use 30 level cya for SLAM value-------and FORGETABOUTIT till the SLAM is done. There..........You're now cured!

:wave: Welcome!

Do not add CYA twice a day! Test initially, add enough CYA via sock to get to target level (or just under), and then assume it's there. It will take a week or so to show up on a test so save your reagents. After a week, test again. Then adjust if needed.

New TF100
attachment.php

CYA is generally set it and forget it for a month or so. If you know how much you added, you should have a good idea of where your CYA level is, if you use Effects of Adding Chemicals at the bottom of poolmath.

CYA only leaves by backwashing or splashout. Once you get your level established, that's it. You are at a good level to SLAM right now, so leave it alone. Whatever amount you calculated, use that to determine shock level.

During the SLAM, all you worry about is FC & CC. If you started at 20ish CYA and you added enough to raise it to 40, use 40 as your CYA level to determine shock level. Whatever you targeted, assume it's there. When the SLAM is all done and the FC falls off below 10, then you can run all the tests again and fine tune the rest. You can fix pH, TA, and CYA in an hour once the pool is clear. Low CH will never be a problem in a vinyl pool, so you can test it, but you don't necessarily need to do anything to raise it. You might need to lower it some if your husband favored Cal-hypo to chlorinate, but that's a topic for later. And coming off a SLAM, FC should be adequate.

It'll make sense once you start fine tuning things. You're just off to a rough start with an algae bloom.

Welcome to TFP! I think you're gonna like it here!

Your first post had me giggling here in bed. (I should be sleeping but I'm addicted to TFP.)

Go easy on that cya. Easy to add...pain in the neck to remove. :)

I think everyone has you covered for advice so I'm just going to hang out on the welcome committee / cheer leading squad.

Oh and.... +1 for pictures!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.