Is it okay to swim if chlorine and TA are high?

Jul 11, 2015
Cypress, Tx
Hello,

I'm new here and I'm a new above ground pool owner. I just got home from visiting my local Leslie's Pool Supply to have my water tested. I've attached a picture of their results below. I know I ned to add dry acid but I have kids visiting me right now that want to swim. They leave in the morning so I'm wondering if I can wait to add the dry acid and let them swim this evening? Please help! Thanks in advance!

Welcome! :wave:

If you believe those test results (I don't. Pool stores are wrong far more often than right) there's nothing wrong with your pool. If you can see the bottom and it's warm enough, let 'em in.

The ideal situation would be to have your own proper test kit. After a couple weeks, you'll know your pool's chemistry perfectly and there will never be a doubt about it.

Wow! Thanks so much for such a quick reply! I didn't know what to believe. I found it odd that I had tested my pool with 2 other methods and they didn't seem to match the store's results. Then again, I am using 2 different cheap testing strip methods. I am attaching pictures of them for you to see. I would love to hear your feedback. Thanks again!

This stinks! I'm so embarrassed to say this...but I bought yet ANOTHER test kit while I was at the pool store. Picture attached. I don't know how to read it though. And just now I was using the net to clean of the junk on top of the water before the kids get in, and I noticed some kind of gunk on the bottom of the pool! (Picture also attached.) I never would have thought a pool would cause me such pain. I'm sad.

Last edited:
That tester is pretty easy. You just fill the tubes up to the mark and add the drops. It doesn't have to be precisely at the mark, within 1/16" either way. Cap it, invert in two or three times to mix, and compare shades. It works best in bright light with a white background and I find colors are easier to match when held at arm's length. The pH test is the same as the TF100 uses.

The chlorine test stops at 5, I think, which won't do you much good, because that stuff on the floor looks like algae. And to kill algae, you need to raise the chlorine level far above what that tester can read.

You're not the only one with multiple test blocks laying around. The good news is that once you get the right kit, you'll only need to buy refills for the drops and the powder when they get used up. Clearing a swamp burns through a lot, but otherwise a test kit is good for a whole season, and possibly two.

You're great, Richard320! I let the kids swim under a few conditions...they were not to open their eyes under water, if their skin felt like it was burning or itching they had to get out, and they had to take a bath immediately after swimming (advice from something I read online). I don't know if it's good advice or not, but I would "rather be safe than sorry". No one looks like The Walking Dead so I'm glad I followed your advice and I appreciate your help! Now that everyone is out of the pool and asleep, I am going to add the dry acid that Leslie's advised me to add. I'm sure you're asleep too so I won't get to hear whether this is a good idea or not. I guess I'll just see what happens...

Thanks to everyone who offered their advice and suggestions (I'm not through yet though since now I must ask you all how to get rid of the algae). This is such a great site!

Once you get your proper test kit, you will need to SLAM that pool to kill the algae.

You have not mentioned how you currently chlorinate your pool, are you using pucks in a floater?

Be sure to take a trip to POOL SCHOOL, the "ABC's of water chemistry" is very helpful as a beginner.

Dom

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm currently using one of those Flip Plop things but I think it's going to end up costing me more in the long run.

Update: My ALK level is still high around 190 according to my crappy tests. BUT my chlorine is 0 to 1. My pH on all three of the testers appears to be the same, which is 7.2. The pool is in full sunlight all day long. I'm in Houston, TX and the temperature has not been below 90 degrees since July 2nd (today was 95 degrees). Also the water has become too hot to enjoy so now no one wants to swim in it. :( I shopped yesterday for a floating fountain or something like it as I read they may help cool the water, but I couldn't find one anywhere besides Leslie's (and it was just too expensive). I can order a simple little flower fountain from Amazon but I'm just wondering if you think it's going to help or if it's worth it?

I was just about to go to Wal-Mart to purchase some bleach to bring up the chlorine level, but I'm going to wait until I hear something back from someone here. I'm not even sure how much to add.

Lastly, what do you all recommend moving forward as my main source for chlorine? I've read SO many mixed opinions.

As always, thanks in advance for your help.

Just ran my flower head aerator all night and dropped my pool temp by 6 degrees. Of course..it didn't stay there too long the next day in 97 degree temps, but an absolute delightful far cry from the day before. Also cost me 24 ounces of MA to lower the PH down that morning as well.

Well here's what I did overnight...I connected my little submersible pond pump to a sprinkler head. I then attached that to the ladder so that the pump was under water just enough that the sprinkler head stuck out of the water. i plugged the pump in and let it aerate all night. I also left the pool pump running although it is only supposed to run for 4 hours per day (per the instructions). I just felt the water and it is much cooler. However it is still early so I know it will get hotter as the day goes by. I turned off the main pump and tested my water again. My digital reader said:

CL: 1.2
pH: 7.9
ALK: 210

I added what I had left of dry acid, which was about 3/4 cup. My chlorine floater is refilled and floating around now. I would like to add some bleach but I'm not sure when its safe to do that since I just added the dry acid. I also have some liquid conditioner but not sure if I should use it.

Regarding the Pool School, I have spent a lot of time reading through it and there's no doubt it has a great deal of information. I find a lot of it difficult to understand, but that could be because I'm trying to process so much information at one time. I've printed a lot of it out and created a binder as well. Regardless I find myself still asking questions.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.