New liner installed/ new pool owner/ chemical treat advice

Jul 13, 2015
mattawan/Michigan
Hello as the title says I am new to pool ownership I have read through the pool school section. I still have some questions on initial startup of the pool with new water and new liner. I was told by the local "Pool Store" no chlorine for at least 3 days but to add stablilizer and algeacide to the pool water. circulate the water for 24-48 hours then test the water before adding anything else. I just did a liner change as this home was a short sale and the pool was in poor shape. filled with city water my question I guess would be what does everyone recommend I have read a lot of articles some make it seem like rocket science others make it seem like a child could do it. the store said if you shock or treat to soon it will discolor the liner. Of course they also tried to sell me a few hundred in pool chemicals I would need. For now I picked up a hth test kit and after it is filled completely and filter is charged and running for a bit I was going to test the water right away to see how it stands as is. Any help would be apprieciated thanks.

I have some reading for you to do. It will help you learn how to take care of your pool with our support.

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

This one will tell you the levels your pool should be at.

Pool School - Recommended Levels

This one will tell you how and what to use to get your pool to these levels. Most of this stuff can be bought at.........Walmart! How cool and cheap is that!

Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

Please post your test results from YOUR test.

Until we get those I can tell you to go buy some CYA (stabilizer). This is like sunscreen for your FC/bleach/chlorine. Here is a link to a neat tool to tell you how much you will need of everything to get your levels balanced

http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Now I do NOT know where the pool store got the idea you should NOT add bleach/chlorine for 48 hours unless they are trying to guarantee you will have to come see them to buy stuff to get your pool clear! Please use pool math to tell you how much bleach (plain) you should put in your pool.

I hope I Have not overwhelmed you. Take your time and ask as many questions as you need to to understand.

Hugs and STAY out of the pool store!

Kim

here is my #s after treating using the calculator
FC=5
PH=7.5
TA=180ppm
CYA=less than the lowest reading on the HTH test kit I have but water was clouding slightly I have added more have to wait until tomorrow to test again
Hardness came in at 180ppm as well since its vinyl lined its good
Any suggestions are welcome since this is my first time owning a pool I would love to use it this weekend are these numbers safe to swim? Water looks great the temp was a little down 70 degrees F but the solar cover is on and its sunny and hot so by tomorrow it should be warmer. Thanks for all the great reads and help.

hi there, did you add stabilizer (CYA) to your water? if so, did you add enough to get to 30ppm? if its dissolved then you need to base your FC on that number. if you didn't add any, then its zero (not present in tap water), and need to get it in there asap. if you have no CYA, then a FC of 5 is pretty high. other than that, you are in great shape! how are you planning to chlorinate? are you planning on getting one of the recommended test kits? see my signature for link. when you look at the cost/quantity of chemicals, you will see the TF100 is the best deal.

as far as the pool store telling no chlorine for three days?! wow, just stay out of there. no reason to ever step foot in there again. stick with us here and follow the4 TFP method and you will love your cheap/easy to maintain pool. but test kit is a must.

I have a hth test kit from wal-mart I did add stabilizer the kit has the tests for ph,chlorine,TA,hardness,and CYA. I added the recommended dose of granular stabilizer first thing this morning took the tests besides the CYA at around 1:45 before I left for work I only had enough test solution for one more CYA test so I wanted to wait for the recommended 24 hours before I do it. the test for CYA I did last night Was very low had some but below the 30 ppm that my test kit goes to I had added a small amount left from the previous owner. I am planning on following the TFP using bleach and I am looking to buy a better test kit. Funny to I took water in for their free water testing before they told me not to add any chlorine to the water for 3 days and the guy tested it comes back over and said everything looks great it was just tap water. I stopped going to them after the 3rd time I went in and they told me to not add chlorine after 2 different employees told me 2 different things I should do to take care of the pool at least they should all recommend the same care as the other that's when I found this forum.

CANNON BALL! Your water is good for swimming! :splash:

Please only use bleach/chlorine to get your FC up. Just plain, ole bleach like from Walmarts greater value! If your pool store has chlorine it might be cheaper but you will have to give a deposit for their jugs.

Test and "feed" your pool for FC and PH each day. I do mine at night as that works best for me.

Kim

Do not test for CYA for a week as most of the time it will not show up. Your just wasting chemicals. Its one of those things you calculate the dose and assume its in there. Don't add the full amount suggested either. Its easier to add a little more than deal with having to much and having to drain water. Listen to the advice and get the test kit. You really do get control of you pool and after a bit it turns to childs play.

This is the test kit I have now its close to the others seems to work good. I have used more expensive ones at work and they are similar of course at work it is water tower process water not pool water. I plan on getting a better kit just did not want to buy the one from the pool store

I bought the TF100 from this site when I found this site last year. Now its second nature and i had a few of my friends get it too. I just get a refill on the chems as needed. So far for a season and a half its just been the chlorine test and cya refills. Cant beat that. I believe the link is Tftestkits.net

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That is a good test kit as it has all of the tests you need if you start with a clear pool! Good job!

The one thing I would add to it is this test as it tests the FC much higher if you should ever need to do a SLAM.

TFTestkits.net

Of course you will need to buy refills of the stuff you use alot and you can get them there also.

Kim

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.