Cloudy Water!! Please Help!!

Jul 13, 2015
Utica, Michigan
Hello everyone, my name is Ed. I am new to posting here, but have been following the site for the last year since i had my pool installed. I finally broke down and ordered the 2006c test kit. Hopefully I get it soon as I am having a big problem. I have been using the pool store for my water testing since i started along with a basic test kit that i have. I just dont buy their chemicals. The last storm here in michigan really messed up my pool. Here are the results of my latest tests taken today.

Free chlorine - 5.0
Total chlorine - 5.0
Combined Chlorine - 0
pH - 7.7
Alkalinity - 111
Cyanuric Acid - 26

Ever since the storm my water has been cloudy. I can still see the bottom of the pool. I tried shocking the pool with a 1lb bag(I typically use liquid) and the result didn't get any better. My water is still cloudy. The pool is a 12 by 21 oval. Is there any recommendations from anyone until I receive my test kit? This is driving me crazy. I had crystal clear water 3 days ago.

Thanks,
Ed

Raise your chlorine level to 10ppm, hold it there daily and wait for the kit. When it gets there give us some test results. Pool store results are too untrustworthy, especially the CYA test.

I am in a similar situation to you. I recently SLAMed the pool when it was overcome with algae while I was on vacation. The algae died, but it has been cloudy ever since (very slowly clearing up). I added a couple more gallons of liquid chlorine last night, but didn't notice any significant changes in the cloudiness this morning. I measured the FC at 5 ppm this morning. Should I be patient, and wait for it to clear up?

I am in a similar situation to you. I recently SLAMed the pool when it was overcome with algae while I was on vacation. The algae died, but it has been cloudy ever since (very slowly clearing up). I added a couple more gallons of liquid chlorine last night, but didn't notice any significant changes in the cloudiness this morning. I measured the FC at 5 ppm this morning. Should I be patient, and wait for it to clear up?

That isn't really a SLAM ..... adding a couple gallons will boost your FC way up but the idea of a SLAM is to get it to shock level and then maintain it until you have clear water, CC of .5 or less and pass the OCLT.

Do you have test results? That is what we need to know first and foremost before we can help!

Should I be worried about the sand in my filter? This morning after about 12 hours after i added the first shock treatment, the water looks the same as last night and no pressure changes according to my gauge. I started this year off with new sand in my filter. Am i over thinking this? I just added some more liquid chlorine and my test kit should be here tomorrow(fingers crossed).

- - - Updated - - -

I also got suckered into buying a pool clarifier, which after investigation on this site is debatable. i was told i could not over use it. i added about 2 ounces to my water when this started. Could the clarifier cause cloudiness?

Just wait for your test kit. Do NOT add any thing other that bleach to your pool until we go over your test results.

Who added the sand? Are you SURE it was POOL sand and not play sand? VERY important question. We have a pool they are trying to clear that it was found out that play sand was used instead of POOL sand. It has made a MESS of the water that is STILL not clear.

Kim

As Kim said, if I were you, I would not put anything else in the water except regular bleach to the level as noted by the SLAM instructions and as based on the Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart. Anything else could confuse you or conflict with the SLAM. Also, give it time. Patience and "maintaining" the proper FC level are key. Your water will eventually change from green (if applicable) to possibly more of a cloudy white as the algae begins to die. Then the filter will have the chore of filtering-out the residue. But this may take a few days. The bleach will eventually make it to all spots in your water system, to include the filter.

At the same time, continue to run your pump 24/7. Remove any “muck” and debris, scrub all parts of your pool to expose any algae, and vacuum/clean (or backwash) filter as necessary. You may have to do this several times. It's a lot of babysitting, but with patience and consistency, you will succeed.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My test kit arrived today! I immediately tested the water. Here's the readings I got

FC - 23.5
CC - 0
pH - 7.8
TA - 160
Cyan - 55 (it was between 50-60)
Calcium - 100

I tested the pH against my old kit that i was using, and i got a super low reading. That kit is now in the garbage. The water seems to be getting better slowly. Here is a pic20150715_102808.jpg. I am simply amazed at this new test kit and should have had one all along.

That water is going to love the new test kit! It will look like jewel. You will be able to read the heads/tails on a coin at the bottom!

While you are doing a SLAM do not test anything other than FC and every once in a while CC. The others do not matter right now.

Kim

Quick question about the SLAM. What level am I supposed to keep the FC at? I just checked i again since the sun is going down and it looks like i lost 3ppm during this sunny day. Should I keep adding chlorine to maintain the 20ppm level for now until the water clears?

Your CYA is 55 so I would round up to 60 and keep the FC at 24. Remember to test the FC often and bring the level back to 24 when it drops. The longer your FC stays at or slightly above 24 the better off you will be...

Shhhhhhhhhhhh but you can get in the water this weekend...................just let the fc get just a tiny bit under the SLAM level and jump in. Don't wear you best suit but jump in and have fun. Once you are push your FC back up to just over the SLAM level. Yeah it might slow your SLAM down a couple of mins. but it will be SO worth it!

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.