How much would a pool like this cost in Houston, TX

ap30

Jun 10, 2015
Houston, TX
Hi,
This is my first post here, but I have been reading and learning a lot from this site. Thank you everyone for teaching me everything that I know so far. So here is where I need some help. We have a pool that came with the house and now we are thinking of getting a house with a floor plan that better suits our lifestyle. But we love our pool and would like to build pretty much an exact duplicate if we can afford it. Below are some pictures of our pool. I was wondering if I could get a ball park estimate on how much it would cost to build this pool.

What I know so far
38' x 19', 20k -22k gallons
3.5' deep on shallow end, 9' deep on the deep end
Pebbletec finish, flagstone coping
10 ton moss rock waterfall and grotto
2 small waterfall on one side of pool (weeping wall)
Has a electric chiller/heater and also a gas heater
8' round spa, raised 12" above ground
2 speakers in the grotto
2 LED lights in the pool, 1 in the grotto, 1 in the spa
5' firepit, raised 12" above ground
2000 sq ft of pea gravel decking
Sitting bench and table in the grotto

All the equipment is Jandy or Pentair. don't know the specs but I can look it up if it would mean a big difference in price. Any help would be greatly appreciated
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 876
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 860
Maybe do a search using grotto to find a similar build thread? You could then PM the person and ask about costs. That's a beautiful pool.

True, though I also do think you'll get a good response with very good estimates since you were so specific and are in a popular pool area. Too bad the house isn't your dream too. Always cheaper to buy a house with a pool though they seldom tick all the boxes for both. Though with the forthcoming costs, you'd likely have a lot of money to totally redo your current place too.

Welcome to TFP.

Construction costs are very difficult to estimate a lot depends on the site -- an I have no Idea what your site is like

But I'm going to say between 60 and 85 depends on your choice of builders and site constraints.

I'm in Cypress in the Houston area. I'm afraid any guess I make would be misleading. There are a lot of bells and whistles on your current pool. Once you get used to those, it's difficult to give them up.

If you want a wild stab at a cost, I'll try. Just don't hold me to it. I would guess at least 80-90K. I'm trying to compare it to my pool and what I'm paying. That may not be a fair way to do it considering package pricing.

Compared to my pool features, you have some expensive add-ons (I'm guessing they would be expensive for me...)
Most of your list of features are not standard, but custom add-ons and upgrades.

As mentioned earlier, it's best if you have PB's come out, see your pool, and give you a bid. You're ahead of the game by knowing what you want, and you can give all the pb's the same requirements and then compare apples to apples.

Location makes a difference, too. Some areas have permit requirements while other areas don't.

If you like your location, can you do some serious remodeling? You might come out better that way.

Sorry, I'm not more help. Let us know what you decide!
Take care! Suz.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks everyone for your input. It would be awesome if we could remodel the house to what we want. However, we want a single story house so that all the bedrooms are downstairs. We have 2 young kids and wife wants them to be close to our bedroom so she doesn't have to worry about them at night. I did some more research to see what the previous owners left us for pool paperwork. Looks like the pool was built in early 2006. I found a hand written log of payments that showed payments of $58k. Not sure if there were any payments made after that.
Also, found a drawing that shows the widest part of the pool being 26' so my guess of 19' was just edge to edge. The waterfall and grotto is 11 tons. Not sure how much difference 11 vs 10 makes but I thought i'd mention what i found. The sunshelf/tanning ledge (I am guessing that's what it's called) is 7.5'.

Suz, Thanks for your input. I have been following your pool build and you have a gorgeous pool. I don't know how much it is going to cost you but mine is not as nice from what I can tell so far. Looking at the details in your signature, the basics look very comparable to mine - gallons, freeform size, depth, 12 jets, bubblers, jandy equipment, leds, i don't know my pump sizes (will look tomorrow). I don't have travertine deck, just pea gravel and flagstone. Although yours is way nicer and have a lot of details, the only big difference that I see is the grotto and waterfall. I am curious how much is your pool going to cost you and I can probably reduce some amount to get to mine.

- - - Updated - - -

ozdiver - your pool looks like it would be an awesome pool. do you have the pics posted on the forum somewhere i can go look?

You are very kind! I think your pool is gorgeous! I'm definitely a newbie in this pool business, and I hope for your sake I'm way high on my guesstimate for you. We have several differences that I think you would be surprised how quickly they can add up. Again, I hope I'm wrong, and there's a good chance I am!
These are the the features you have different from mine:
* longer and wider (maybe not enough to make a difference)
* 9' deep end
* PebbleTec finish (do you have pebble tec or pebble sheen which is considerably less? Both lines/styles are by the company PebbleTec which makes it confusing)
* 10 ton Moss rock waterfall and grotto
* weeping wall
* electric heater and chiller
* 8' spa
* 2 speakers in the grotto
* 5' firepit
* table in the grotto
* 2,000 sf decking - granted I'm getting Travertine, but only 750 sf; I'm not sure how that compares

These are terrific custom features you have! I can see why you want a similar pool. I probably stepped out of my knowledge base and shouldn't have attempted a guess. But maybe when you get some bids, they will be a pleasant surprise.

What part of town do ya'll live?
Suz.

Suz - we are in the kingwood/huffman area. i am afraid if we are building a pool from scratch, we would really want travertine and that would add to the cost, although we can probably scale back on the amount of decking. also, i have absolutely no idea on cost of decking, pea gravel, concrete, travertine...etc. Also, i don't know if it is pebbletec or pebblesheen but one of our friends said it looks like pebbletec. It could be a completely different brand altogether for all i know. The width of the pool was 26' on the drawing but it was measuring from the end of sunshelf to the other end of the pool. I don't know if that's accurate since the sunshelf is maybe 6"-8" of water. It maybe 5' wide, so that will bring the real width to 21'. Not sure if that's the way a PB would calculate but thought i'd throw it out there. Also, the firepit is not 5', more like 4'. Doubt, that changes the price much. Any idea on how much the landscaping would cost. I have no faith in myself when picking out plants or trees to make it look half as nice as it is right now, so will have to hire a professional.

ozdiver - Thanks for the link. Beautiful pool. It is huge and has swimming jets too !!!

sunbaby - Thanks for your input. Looks like we are leaning more towards $80k+ than the other way.

Thanks ap30,
Just for a comparison for my 850 sq/ft deck.
My original plan had patterned concrete with flagstone coping and flagstone on sides of firepit & spa.
I upgraded to all travertine and it cost me an extra $4800.

You have a LOT of deck there and I don't know the price difference between patterned a pea gravel.

I say call some pool builders today and put your wonderings to rest. It will be much easier to move forward. A pool builder will do you more justice in getting an idea of costs.

If you would like, send me a private message through this site. I can give you some builders and numbers. I just can't say for sure if they build in your area.

An even better resource would be your neighbors.

Suz.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.