OK to swim in pool with some green spots on liner on floor ?

gdog2004

Jul 19, 2011
Lehigh Valley, PA
Just wondering. We went away for a few days and got a ton of rain and now the pool has 0 chlorine in it and some light green stains around the pool. I ran a vaccumm over it and they kinda go away and I added enough bleach to bring it up to 5 PPM.

People swim in lakes with lots of algae and no chlorine and live to tell about it.

I'd get some bleach in there and then jump in. And while I was in there, I'd work over the spots with a brush. When everyone's done swimming for the day, I'd adjust the pH to 7.2 and then raise the FC level to shock level for the CYA and let it go to work on any residual algae while there's no sunlight stealing it. You need to SLAM, you might as well get started now.

We had algae spots a few weeks ago. Raised FC to just under shock level for a week and a half, brushed the algae spots several ti es per day, the pool once per day. We swam every day.

People swim in lakes with lots of algae and no chlorine and live to tell about it.

I'd get some bleach in there and then jump in. And while I was in there, I'd work over the spots with a brush. When everyone's done swimming for the day, I'd adjust the pH to 7.2 and then raise the FC level to shock level for the CYA and let it go to work on any residual algae while there's no sunlight stealing it. You need to SLAM, you might as well get started now.

Yep. Kids wanted to go swimming big time yesterday but I had them hold off. I raised the chlorine(via bleach) to about 5 ppm threw in some shock (this stuff Pool Time XtraBlue 6-in-1 Pool Shock (5-Pack)-12101PTM - The Home Depot ) which I believe is considered trichlor and that would have put the pool at about 17ppm, more than enough to shock it.
I then let the filter run on high for 5 hours or so. It looks clearer already. It should be good to swim in tomorrow I would imagine. I am guessing the chlorine would be around 10 PPM at that point.
I'm assuming you can swim in anything less than shock chlorine level.
I rarely use the trichlor but I had a few packs laying around and I didn't have any more bleach. Thinking about it though, Im not sure what the downside of it is besides cost.

OK I did shock the pool. Scrubbed it down. Waited a few days.
I still see some greenish spots and the water is cloudy-ish. Im not sure if the greenish spots are algae or just plain dirt.
Pool measurements today are as follows.
TA 70
FC 3
PH about 8, but we all just swam an hour before. Tester kit was a light pink.
CYA between 23-28 I would say.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you bring your FC, just under SLAM level, you can still swim. You could ask member pooldv about it. If you SL is 18, bring it to 17. Then at night when kids aren't swimming, go to 20or even 22. I think you could work around it with the kids swimming and get them to help you brush when they are in the pool. [emoji6]

[emoji176] Lisa P.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.