Metal wires sticking out of gunite and low area in shallow end

SuzfromTexas

Gold Supporter
Platinum Supporter
TFP Guide
Apr 7, 2015
Houston, Texas
I'm putting these 2 questions in a new thread, so I might get some quick answers..... I'm expecting the pebble finish this week.

1. I noticed this morning two fine little wires on the outside of the gunite near one of the underwater steps. They were both on top, and I could pull them out with just my fingers (no scraping or digging needed). They look rusty. Could they cause a problem with the pebble finish? I'm wondering if they are rusty, would the rust bleed through and stain the plaster finish? I know they are tiny, but I don't know if it could be a problem.

2. After the plaster clean up crew came, my son did some power washing to remove some crud that had drained from the return pipes. It was obvious that in the shallow end there is a low spot - not level or following the same grade. Structurally, I'm sure it's not a problem. But will dirt collect there and be a nuisance? Or it might be a good thing - a nice little one-spot gathering place for the dirt making it easy to remove! Thanks! Suz.

1. As long as they trim them flush the PT should seal them in.
2. Your pool cleaner will not care.
It will only be noticeable whenever you completely drain your pool.
So that would be......when you want to replace your PT, so essentially, never.

I a perfect world I would agree wires are not a problem. Where you are now I would ask My PB to clean out about 1/2 inch in and put on a small patch so that the metal is totally encased in concrete. Its a small thing but 15 years down the line it may prevent a metal stain in the pool when the plaster is old. Your PB is selling you a pool where the metal is at least encased by 1 inch of gunite. Whats wrong with getting what you are paying for?

Gwegan: That's good advice. Thank you so much! I was a little worried my son had caused that when he power washed yesterday. I don't think he could have uncovered an inch worth of gunite with our little electric home power washer.

I will talk to my PB tomorrow!
Suz.

Good for you Suz, in getting your son to power wash and celan up a bit before the plaster guys show up. They sure will appreciate that a lot.

I agree with gwegan about the wires. The plaster guys might find it and take care of it it anyway, but nothing wrong with pointing that out.
Better safe than sorry.

Thanks, Dave. I appreciate the encouragement!

I can't take credit for the power washing idea. One of the plaster clean-up crew suggested it when I mentioned we wanted to do whatever to see the plaster install went well.
Nick was surprised how much 'chunks of gunk' (as he called it) came off. Like you said, at least the plaster guys will appreciate it.

Take care!
Suz.

Having absolutely no idea what I am talking about, I would be inclined to take a pair of vice grips down into the pool, and look for any others. Then, I would mark them all with...tape? Take pics for the file. Make sure the plaster guy knows exactly where all of them were. Any idea what they are from?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I had rebar sticking out of the gunite. The builder cut it off flush with the gunite and they put pebble finish over it. A few weeks later I had a major rust spot showing through the pebble. They had to cut it out, seal it and reapply the pebble finish so ended up having an obvious square 6" x 6" where the stain was with a slightly different color than the original pebble finish.

I recommend any exposed metal is sealed before plastering to avoid having an issue like this.

DSC_0108_2.jpg
DSC_0117_2.jpg

#1 - like other suggested, I would have them chip out a little of the gunite (down maybe an inch), and cut out the wire, and then reseal (probably with concrete). They might even be able to leave the hole and just fill it with plaster. My neighbor had a little piece of rebar near the pool surface, and the rust showed through (like Jeff's picture).

#2 - you probably won't notice. And when they apply the plaster, they can use the plaster to fill in the low spot. You'll probably have to ask them. To be honest, my pool wasn't "perfectly" plastered, but once water was in it, I wouldn't have notice (except that I saw it before water went into the pool). I wouldn't be too concern about this issue.

Those exposed wires MUST be removed and any trace of them isolated, or they will rust through the PT. The PW is a good idea, but that is always done by the crews as prep for plaster. The shell must be clean for a proper install. Point out the low spots and have the plaster guys level them out. They will likely notice and address it, but just make sure...

The pool PM was here this morning. He dug out some around the wires, cut the wires, and filled with hydraulic cement. Is there such a thing - did I understand correctly? Was that the right material to use to protect the plaster?

Thanks again,
Suz.

Suz - ummmm...I only knew what it was. But this is what I found when I googled it. Sounds like it's perfect.

Hydraulic Cement is a product used to stop water and leaks in concrete and masonry structures. It is a type of cement, similar to mortar, that sets extremely fast and hardens after is has been mixed with water. Hydraulic cement is used widely in the construction industry sealing structures below grade and in situations where structures can be affected or submerged in water.
Hydraulic cement can be used above of below grade, however, it is extremely useful if used in:

• Swimming Pools

Hugs to you, Marla! Here I sit at my computer, and I'm too tired to even think of googling it.... duh!!!

Thank you! You have completely put my mind at ease over this. I didn't lose sleep over it, but I can now officially mark it off my list of things to keep an eye on!

That was so very kind of you!
Suz.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.