Poor Skimmer Function

May 26, 2015
Somers, NY
I've been lurking on this site for a little over a year now and have really learned a lot from pool school and doing searches. I even bought a Taylor 2006 kit that was recommended here and it is great. I have an 18 x 36 vinyl liner inground pool with a sta-rite system 2 cartridge filter and 1hp sta-rite supermax pump. The problem I'm having is with my skimmer not really doing much, and I think it could be because I cannot get good flow around the pool. The pool only has one skimmer box, a suction line, and 2 returns (one of which is at the steps). I get good suction from both the skimmer and the suction line, but bugs and leaves still tend to stay in the middle of the pool rather than go toward the skimmer. I've attached a rough sketch of the pool. Which direction would you recommend I point the returns for best flow around the pool?
attachment.php

Attachments

• Pool.jpg
    Pool.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 91
Welcome to TFP!

I'd probably start by aiming the return in the steps toward a spot about halfway between the skimmer and the wall on the right. Then I'd aim the wall return into the upper right corner, with both returns rippling the surface a little.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.