Tanning Ledge Too Shallow - Builder Wants to Cut and Jackhammer?

My pool build is coming along great with one small exception, the tanning ledge ended up too shallow. It was supposed to be 8"-9" but the specifications didn't make it to the final drawings and ended up being the normal 5"-6". The pool builder recommended cutting and jack hammering the additional depth and said that it would not compromise the shell due to the 12" of shotcrete on the top of the tanning ledge. I also noticed the hole for the LED light is very close to the top of the tanning ledge, so close that I'm not sure if it will fit.

I would prefer the 8"-9" depth but not so much as to risk the integrity of the shell. If it makes a difference, the pool was just shot 4 days ago. What does everyone think? What would you do?

I would not think the owners would need the builder to make them review the final plan and that they would want to themselves. Considering it's the owner's money and no one is going to be as concerned as they are of the plans. I'm not trying to be critical and I have never built a pool, but I would mandate that I had a chance to review the final plans (with the builder) before the build started. Though like everything, plans can be tough to read and overwhelming and lots of things, like shelf depth are hard to visualize on paper so there is no perfect situation.

You would NOT believe how many pool builds get messed up because the changes discussed with the designer or sells person are NOT on the plans given to the subs. They are put on a set of plans BUT somehow the old plans will end up being the ones used.

The best thing we have seen to fool proof it is to have the plans blown up big and POSTED where every one can see them and use them! Put them in a big clear bag hanging where they cannot be missed.

In a purrrrrrrrrfect work, NO you would have to do it but...............

One thing I have been trying to catch is for everyone to measure right after the steel is done. THAT is the best time to catch too high, too low, too long, too short, ect.

Kim

It will almost certainly be ok to jackhammer. You want two inches of cover over the rebar so they need to be careful there. Its not entirely clear but the steel appears to be correctly placed for a deeper tanning ledge.

As to the plans issue brought up above -- pool plans are rarely very specific. Just an outline of the pool with a basic depth profile. In California the specifics are in the engineering attachment which is usually a page of standard specifications.

What we have here is the gunite crew just built what they normally build -- I doubt they spent more than 30 seconds looking at the plans --- if they did at all. This is why it is important for the owner to be there while the subs are working -- not all the time -- but at the beginning and sometime latter in the day. Be polite ---- ask questions -- if you don't like something ask them to fix it and call your PB if there is a problem. Maybe buy beer at the end of the plaster job. Pool construction crews generally build what they are used to building so it is important that any deviations from normal be pointed out to them before they start.

This advice is not limited to Pool Building -- this is how all large contractors work -- they have superintendents that supervise subs and large building owners have inspectors to supervise superintendents and the job. Lenders have inspectors too. Its construction --- things go wrong --- its important for the owner to be there looking at what is going on -- sure you are going to be wrong sometimes -- but often you are going to be right -- so try to be there and politely ask questions.

Gwegan is spot on. I've micro-managed every part of my build. The plans the contractors work from are extremely vague. They will build what they are use to unless someone is standing over their shoulders explaining requirements.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.