Dolphin Active 30i review

cbb77

May 29, 2011
MA
Just picked up the Dolphin Active 30i which is a new model for this year. It is the equivalent of the S300i model but just rebranded for different market, so I am told. Anyway, got an amazing deal that I couldn't pass up ($995). And yes this is for the model with full Bluetooth control. Anyhow, so far so good. I have used it twice to not only clean the pool but also test out some of the features. As far as unit itself, it's pretty lightweight, which is great as I can teach my girls how to use and put in the pool. It has the ability to setup weekly cleaning schedule, delayed start and various cleaning cycles. I've used just 2, Standard which includes floors and waterline and just the floor. The cleaning itself is pretty great and the floors feel squeaky clean. Definitely an improvement over my Zodiac MX8. The MX8 was good for the money but was not performing as well as when I first got it thus my reason for picking up the new Dolphin.

Back to cleaning cycle, again the 30i does a great job. I can't figure out the cleaning pattern though. To me it seems to travel odd paths but eventually does indeed get to the whole pool. The path of the MX8 was definitely more predictable. I guess as long as it gets to the whole pool I am happy. As mentioned, I tested 2 different cleaning cycles, Standard and Floor only. Standard is what you would expect, floors and the waterline. It does a good job of sliding across the sides with the side jets, almost too good. One time I did notice that it used the jets too much and spun itself off the wall and was propelling itself into the middle of the pool for a few seconds before shutting off the jets and dropping to the bottom. Only witnessed this once, so will have to take notice to see if it occurs again. For the floor mode, I did notice it will go all the way up to the wall and position itself to 90 degrees before it backs up and heads back down into another direction. I guess this is good and ensures that it is picking up all items that build up along the edge of the floor walls.

Bluetooth control. This sounded cool at first, but after using it, it's just ok. Just about all items / modes can be done directly from the power supply itself. The Bluetooth app only give you 2 additional features. First is the remote control. As you would expect, it allows you to direct the 30i to where ever you like in the event it missed a spot, or you have a particular area you want to address first. It's use was just ok for me. First, there is a delayed reaction to your movements. Second, I experienced a few bluetooth disconnects so not so great. Second option I noticed was that there were 2 additional cleaning modes. One of them is SuperClean and sorry, forgot what the other was. Haven't used either of them yet so can't comment on their usefulness. So again, this feature was just ok for me. Since I don't expect to have to use it much, I think I can live with it. A physical remote might have been better, however it's one less thing to have to worry about losing.

Maintenance. Filter cleaning is easy. Absolutely love the top pop out basket. It is pretty large and has dual filters all around. As their video shows, it is extremely easy to clean. This design really attracted me over the Z5/M5 models.

Last thing I will mention is this model does not come with the swivel cable, however for me, it appeared to be a non-issue. Again, have only used it twice but based on it's cleaning pattern and flexibility of the cord, it doesn't seem like this will be a problem. Time will tell.

Anyway, so far so good. I am very happy with this purchase, particularly for the price. Let me know if anyone has any questions on the unit.

I am looking at this model so the review is great.

My Z5 didnt work out and I am waiting to hear from Maytronics on how they are going to proceed. I want something with less suction and this model caught my eye. Do you have a liner in your pool? I am thinking less robot is better for my pool at this point.

Yes I do have a vinyl liner.
I am looking at this model so the review is great.

My Z5 didnt work out and I am waiting to hear from Maytronics on how they are going to proceed. I want something with less suction and this model caught my eye. Do you have a liner in your pool? I am thinking less robot is better for my pool at this point.

Thanks for the review cbb77. I looked up these Active line models, and I guess they put them in the commercial category. It also says that the warranty is void if you get these online, so did you get it from a local store?

I did pick it up from a local store. Well kind of local, was 35 miles away but still close enough. I actually used Maytronics website to locate dealers for either the Active series or the S series. Seems like the S series is geared for retail stores and Active is for those who actually do pool installs as well as have a retail store. Both models are the same so I was searching for whoever had the best price.

I will tell you the price swing on this is unbelieveable. Most had the S 300i in the $1500 - 1700 range. 30i seemed to be going for $1200-1300. Goulart Pools had it on sale for the $995 so Iliterally ran down to snag it at this price. Thought it was going to be a scam and end up being the 30 vs. the 30i but rest assured it was legit. So definitely shop around.

Thanks for the review cbb77. I looked up these Active line models, and I guess they put them in the commercial category. It also says that the warranty is void if you get these online, so did you get it from a local store?

I did pick it up from a local store. Well kind of local, was 35 miles away but still close enough. I actually used Maytronics website to locate dealers for either the Active series or the S series. Seems like the S series is geared for retail stores and Active is for those who actually do pool installs as well as have a retail store. Both models are the same so I was searching for whoever had the best price.

I will tell you the price swing on this is unbelieveable. Most had the S 300i in the $1500 - 1700 range. 30i seemed to be going for $1200-1300. Goulart Pools had it on sale for the $995 so Iliterally ran down to snag it at this price. Thought it was going to be a scam and end up being the 30 vs. the 30i but rest assured it was legit. So definitely shop around.
Thanks for the info. It's sure a wow on the pricing. I am currently looking at the Nautilus Plus but also interesting in the new S models. It looks like the S-200/Active 20 might be the more comparable model.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Has your cord ever tangled up yet? My Polaris 9300 sport keeps tangling up every time. And I consider buying this unit. I also consider buying the Hayward aqua vac 500
No my cord has not tangled while in the pool. I have used it about half dozen times now without issue. However I do have the cord twist a bit due to storing it on the include caddy. Thus I do need to straight it out a bit before putting it in the pool. But once straightened, its been fine in the pool.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Okay, so I bit the bullet and bought one of these units. It arrived just before lunch today and I threw it in as fast as I could. I configured it and let it run via the iPhone app. I came out later and it had finished, but didn't quiet get everything in the bottom of the pool. So I left it an hour and then ran it again. I pulled it out after the second cycle, cleaned the filter basket out and decided to sweep the pool to see how much it had done. There was still a little bit of silt on the bottom. I've never had a robotic cleaner before (growing up we had flip hoses and suction based vacuum and this is my first pool as an adult) so I can't compare it to anything else on the market. I'm happy with it so far.

I bought it from InyoPools.com even though it says the warranty is void if bought online. Locally the pool stores were selling it $500 more and I decided to take a calculated risk and hope I don't have $500 of repairs to make over the warranty period. Anyway, I'm a happy owner.

That's a sweet deal. I just got the S300 (not the s300i, only difference is Bluetooth controls) and it cleans my pool like a champ. Probably going to do a write up here in the next week or two.

I also have the S300. It does have bluetooth control. What it lacks is the 2.5 hour cycle and the
"floor only" option. Although I have no idea why you wouldn't want it to run a full cycle once you have it in the pool.

So we have the Apollo model from Maytronics since we had our pool installed in 2013. It works awesome....we had never even used a manual vacuum....UNTIL at the end of last season we noticed we were losing water. Turns out we have many pinholes (like 25) in the vinyl liner where tiny pebbles were underneath and the robot going over them caused wear and tear. I am not sure who or what is at fault. We have a concrete base pool with steel walls. We submitted a pool liner claim to Maytronics but they denied it because we don't have pictures of the pin holes BEFORE they were patched. I am waiting to hear back if it would make a difference to unpatch them to take pictures. My pool company has offered to split the cost of a new liner but I am afraid the same thing will happen... any advice or thoughts welcome

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.