I pierced the side of my Intex 15' x 48" - how do I properly patch?

Jul 7, 2015
Los Angeles
Well I was being stupid today. Only our 2nd time in the pool and I grabbed my surfboard and was messing around with friends, trying standing up on it - it shot out from underneath me and pierced the side of our pool. One of those stupid moments you feel like a kid again and could reverse time.

Anyway, I quickly grabbed some duct tape to keep the water from flowing out. It's kind of doing the job for now, but I don't think it'll last.
The tear is about 16-18" wide.. pretty big.
I see I have some patch stuff that came with our pool, but none of it is wide enough. There are 3 different patches that have the pattern of the inside of the pool, with different colored backs. I can't figure out what those are for, or how they are different from one another (wasn't clear to me in the manual).

Anyone have any suggestions? I wondered if I could actually "stitch" the tear so it doesn't continue to tear wider?

Is there a way to patch this without emptying the water?

Thanks for any tips.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_3508.jpg
    IMG_3508.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 241
Surfboard...in the pool...and I thought I saw it all :lol:

When we were kids, my neighbor used to practice rolls in his kayak in his pool. We had a cheap foam core surfboard and used to put it in the water on one end of the pool, step onto it, ride it across the pool, and then walk off of it when we got to the other side. But then he had a plaster in ground pool, nothing was going to poke a hole it in.

As for the OP, that hole should not be too bad to patch. Luckily it is near the waterline, and not down near the bottom.

-dave

Surfboard...in the pool...and I thought I saw it all :lol:

I've had my surfboard in the pool many times... practicing laying on the board and pushing/jumping to a squat. Thankfully the pool is plaster so I have to worry more about the brick coping scratching my surfboard than my board putting a hole in my pool :)

I'm only a kid at heart, to say the least, so I need to practice in order to stay in shape for when I do have the chance to catch some waves.

Good luck with the patch Christopher.

Since it's at the top, there isn't a great deal of pressure compared to a bottom rip. I tore a 3 inch tear at the bottom of mine. I didn't trust just a normal patch for 15,000 gallons of water pressure.
I bought a roll of 4ft x 2ft 27 mil clear vinyl. I then did 3 layers on each side. Starting with 5 inch, then 8 inch, then 12 inch pad. So that's a total of 6 patches (3 each side). Yes that sounds like a bit overkill,
but that's a lot of pressure on the bend from bottom to wall.

After re-setting up the pool this year from a winter storage, that is the only spot the DOESN'T leak lol

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.