Do I have algae?

Jul 12, 2015
Pomona, NY
Hi all! New to this site and new to pool ownership! We bought a house with a 25,000 gallon in ground pool back in December. It was not properly cared for to say the least. Needed to replace both the pump and the sand filter! We finally got everything under control, but I'm noticing every 2 weeks or so, the water becomes slightly cloudy with a blue green tint. The floor and sides of the pool get a yellow/brown/greenish color film on them. I notice that when I shock it (I add 2lbs of power powder) it goes away, pool looks beautiful, but then as the chlorine levels come down it comes back!

What am I doing wrong?!? Do I have algae? Right now the chemical levels are all balanced but the pool still has this slight cloudiness and blue/green color. I have attached 2 pictures one of the deep end and one of the shallow for reference.

Attachments

• IMG_1872[1].jpg
    IMG_1872[1].jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_1873[1].jpg
    IMG_1873[1].jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 63
:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Yes you are getting algae. And this is happening because you are not maintaining adequate FC levels, which are a function of your stabilizer (CYA) level according to the FC/CYA Chart.

To properly eliminate the algae, you need to follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process which is not a 1 time "shock". And to SLAM properly you need to have one of the Recommended Test Kits that includes the FAS-DPD chlorine test.

How have you been testing your water?
How have you been adding chlorine?

Have you discovered Pool School yet? Start with these:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

Okay, well, we're going to have to give you a C- grade for the test strips. :) If at all possible, look at the TF-100 link below in my sig for details about ordering either the TF-100 or Taylor K-2006. Those kits come complete with everything you need to accurately test FC, CC and CYA (among others) at various levels. You won't regret it.

As for shock, we don't' use "shock" as what you are probably accustomed to from the pool store. Those products do not sanitize enough for us and typically leave behind tremendous amounts of CYA (stabilizer) that can work against you and your water. We rely solely on regular liquid bleach. But hey, that's what the Pool School and TFP method is all about. Take a few minuets to read-up on what the TFPC method is and how it can work for you. Order the recommended test kit and you'll find that you will rarely go to the pool store any more, and will probably save some $$$. :)

Have a great day.

Same advice as before - read in Pool School to improve your understanding of pool chemistry and pool maintenance; read about the recommended test kits, and buy one.

You could check chlorine levels with your test strips, for what that's worth.

Well, the thing to know about those pool store powders is they tend to increase stabilizer in your pool. Most of us grew-up hearing, "shock the pool", and "bomb the pool". Here at TFP we know better. Once you read the ABCs of Water Chemistry, Recommended Pool Chemicals, and How to Chlorinate Your Pool, you realize that pool store advice was not the way to go.

For now, I would encourage you and your husband to refrain from putting anything else in your pool except for regular liquid bleach. Based on the size of your pool and condition of your water, just ad one gallon each evening after the sun goes down. This is just to try and keep things "at-bay" for now until you get the right test kit. Then we can get more aggressive. But we need the right test results.

The proper test kit (i.e. TF-100 – link below) is the foundation of your pool care. Why this kit? We've learned through personal experience that you cannot reply on pool store testing, test strips, or simple over-the-counter kits. They simply do not read Free Chlorine (FC) or Cyanuric Acid (CYA) levels accurately or to the high levels we need. If you do not have a TF-100 or Taylor K2006 test kit, it should be your #1 priority.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.