Can't hold chlorine

burt

Apr 9, 2012
I am having a huge problem holding choline. Basically all the other numbers are fine. No algie to speak of. I have added at least 6-7 lbs of Powder Power Plus over the last two days and the tests barely shows .5. I have been experiencing this problem all summer. Pool store is as puzzled as I am.
First time to forum, so if info. is needed, please advise. Thanks.

Welcome to TFP!

Please post a full set of test results ... Not from test strips or the pool store.

Likely you have something in the water consuming the chlorine and may have over stabilization problems.

Welcome! :wave:

Something's eating it - either algae or sunlight. Test results would help, and so would a description of the water. Is it crystal clear, clear with patches of algae, cloudy, milky, green, what?

If it's just low CYA and the sun is getting it, that's easy to fix. If it's the beginnings of an algae bloom, that'll take a while. Just do what these folks did: Recovering my old inspirational links - Page 2

Latest test results:My testing: Chlorine 0; Ph 7.0-7.2;TA 100; CYA 75-80. No phosphates. Calcium hardness high.( Leslie's shows 400. I think higher, but not sure. My test doesn't seem right.) Water is cloudy. On a scale of 1-10, about a 5. Lot of rain lately. No metals.
Leslie's recommendation: hit hard with 5 lbs of Powder Powder Plus. I have used multiple lbs. of PPP in the past, but only lasts a day or so.
Any ideas?
Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

PS I do have a TF100 test kit. Are there other tests I can do with it?

Every pound of power powder adds 3.6 FC to your pool along with 2.6 CH. Your CH is already north of 400, so I'd stop it and switch to bleach. Other powdered chlorines will raise the CYA level and lower the pH and you're already stretching the boundaries with those.

Look at that link I posted. Scroll through and look at the pictures. Bleach did that. No doubt you'll see reference to SLAM. Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain That's the solution.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.