anyone used nitrile or silicone products for crack repair?

laff66

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 18, 2007
Plano, TX
I've posted in the past during a pool renovation regarding crack repair and got lots of good info, but they came back. I repaired the top of the crack (all the way up to the tile!!) with the two part putty, and it held great, but its dark blue on a stonescapes finish and it will look terrible if I run it across the floor of the pool. I'm thinking about simply using a marine-type silicone to fill a very long crack just to stop our water loss. Its pretty obvious at this point that none of the epoxies, putties, staples, etc. are going to stop the structural movement, so I'm thinking that using something topical, clear and flexible is a good compromise. Even if I have to do it every year it will be cheap!

Soooo, does anyone have any suggestions? I used a 3M product in the past on our boat that was for use below the waterline so I'm leaning that way. Any other suggestion or links would be greatly appreciated!

The more important question to be asked is what is causing the crack and how can it remediated? If the cause isn't fixed, it will continue to be active, returning after each repair.

This won't be a negligence issue with the inspector. If it wasn't there when he was, and he hadn't been there before or since, how can you fault him. It's unfortunate, yes, the inspector's fault, I doubt it.

PoolGuyNJ, what are you talking about? I'm really confused on the "blaming the inspector" comment. I dont know where that came from, or who you're talking about, but I blame our horrible black clay soil for our crack, not a person??

Anyway, I don't think there is a way to fix the cause that would be worth the expense. If a structure like a large pool is cracked, and it wants to keep moving, its going to break any repair thats done, thats why I mentioned being okay with doing a cheapo fix every year.

There was another thread where the inspector was a target by a poster. For some reason, my thought train crashed. Sorry for the confusion.

There are coloring available for plaster patch. You might want to chip some away from the crack, grind out the crack a bit, drill relief holes at the top and bottom too stop the crack, fill it with hydraulic cement and apply the colored patch.

Bet it'll last.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.