Manual vacuum pressure too strong in fiberglass pool

Oct 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
How do I reduce the amount of suction when I manually vacuum my pool? It is so strong at times that I fear I will be another pole or I have to turn the head to break the seal to move it.

My pool is fiberglass with only one skimmer. I put the skimmer plate on, fill the hose via the closest return until the bubbles are gone, then attach to the plate. Could I reduce the time I fill the hose, would that help?

Any suggestions??

If you have a main drain, open the valve to it to reduce the suction on the vacuum. If you're sending 100% of the pool suction to the vacuum and you have no way to not do it, then maybe start modifying the skimmer plate by drilling a hole in it - start small. Just experiment until you divert enough suction away from the hose that the head doesn't stick to the floor.

If you have a main drain, open the valve to it to reduce the suction on the vacuum. If you're sending 100% of the pool suction to the vacuum and you have no way to not do it, then maybe start modifying the skimmer plate by drilling a hole in it - start small. Just experiment until you divert enough suction away from the hose that the head doesn't stick to the floor.

No main drain, only the skimmer, so I will drill a small hole to start.
Thanks!

I too am worried about that. I currently only have one return and one jet (old pool in need of additional leak repairs.) Planning on vacuuming today. I have concrete bottom and fiberglass sides, my only worry being the hose might collapse. Should I be worried? Only have used my robot to clean, but recent outage of pump caused a lot of silt on bottom and want to get that up asap. Just got the last piece yesterday I needed (Skim Vac to attach hose to.) Should I just go for it and see what happens?:eek:

I do have valves, but they have pins put in them by pool guy who put equipment in due to finding out drain leaked and other jet was closed off by previous owners.

Last edited:
Got a pic of your equipment? The deck jets will work but I am thinking there might be a better way.

Here ya go...the brass spigot at the top with the hose attached is to drain excess water. I have drilled a hole in the skimmer plate but it doesn't seem to help much if any at all. Maybe it needs to be bigger. The suction is so great that if the hose is kinked it will bend and kinda suck itself together...very frustrating too.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.