Help please!

Jul 12, 2015
Nowhere TN
I'm new to owning a pool. I bought an Intex easy set up 18ft x 48in pool last year from a person that didn't have time for the pool anymore. I leveled the ground out by putting sand down and a few tarps in between the levels of sand hoping no grass will come through.

The lady I bought the pool from couldn't find the cover for the pool and I looked everywhere in stores and online and couldn't find a cover to fit my pool. So needless to say the pool wasn't covered through the fall/winter.

Once spring came along, as u can imagine the pool had a lot of debri in it and A LOT of algae. Also last years pump wasn't circulating the water much. This year I order a 2,500 gallon pump instead of a 1,500 gallon pump. I also order a Intex deluxe cleaning kit with a vacuum,which I have no clue how to use,shocking right lol The kit came with a brush and a few other things.

I drained a lot of the water out of the pool cuz I wasn't for sure if once the algae was gone that it was safe to get in the same water. So my question is, do I need to put more water back in the pool before I hook the new pump up to the pool?

How do I get rid of all this algae? Do I just put a ton of chlorine in the pool after I brush the bottom of the pool and try to get as much debri out with the net? Also I think I saw tadpoles in what little water remains in the pool :(

I know this is a really long post and I'm so sorry for that but I REALLY need as much help/advice anyone can give me. Thanks so much in advance!! I can also post pics if needed :)

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

Everything we teach starts with test results. We really can't go much further until you can post some current test results to help us understand the condition of your water.

Meanwhile, read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School. That'll help you get started to understanding how to clear your pool.

Welcome! I would add, that only two good test kits are available, the TF-100 and the Taylor K2006C. Both are great kits, but the TF100 is the better value for your money (www.tfteskits.net). If you really want to feel like a chemistry nerd pick up a Speedstir, you will not regret the purchase! Once you get your kit please post a full set of results and we will have your pool crystal clear in short order!

Welcome! You've come to the right place for help. You will want your own quality test kit; it will save you time and money. While you wait, I would work on using a net to get as much of
The debris out as possible.

[emoji176] Lisa P.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What I'm thinking is that it may be quicker to drain what's left, clean the pool as thoroughly as you can, and start with new water.

If Easy Set is the ring top design, as I'm imagining, cleaning the inside of the collapsed pool will be messy, hot, and unpleasant. It would probably get you swimming more quickly, however.

As for running the pump, the first requirement, of course, would for the water intake point to be below water level.

If you do consider the drain and refill approach, take a look at this

Pool School - Guide for Seasonal/Temporary Pools

I think you would go right to a SLAM (shock level and maintain, described on this site) immediately after filling, since your pool will likely still have algae remnants ready to multiply.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.