i have a 18x36 pool with hopper bottom
deep end is 6'
stairs are the bucket type not lined
i'm a very hands on kind of guy and
i'm 99% sure i could do it
but what do i need to look out for

and were should i order the liner from

Welcome to the forum.

I've done it twice. Both times, I could've used a little more help.

On a pool your size, 6 people is not too many. If you can round up that many, you'll have little problem. Patience is important and do it on a fairly warm day so you can work the liner. Plan on most of a morning or a little more.

Like all jobs. successful prep will yield successful results.

It may be pretty easy to find an exact fit for your pool if you know manufacturer and model. If you have to order a custom liner, make your measurements and diagrams precise.

I cannot help you as to the best place to order the liner......perhaps a local dealer would help you or you can certainly find resources online.

The most important thing is getting perfect measurements. We would never order a liner without doing custom measurements. Go to this page: http://triac.com/measurements.php - and download the proper measuring sheet and fill it out in full, with every measurement accurate to about 1/8 - 1/4". Our guys spend 1-2 hours doing a set of measurements.

You also should get yourself a few feet of T-Bead or Liner lock from a pool dealer. When you're putting in the liner this stuff will help to hold it in place in the corners and other tough spots.

personaly id pay someone to do it... Its not like changing a pump, or putting in a new filter. There are many things u need to worry about. proper gaskets, measurements, you will need a liner vac, ive seen a shop vac used but usually on smaller pools. Do you have ground water? (water under the pool) even though im in the business im all about ppl savin a few bucks.. but a job like this can end up causing u more money down the road. atkleast if you hire someone and something doesnt workout... THEY are responsable...

$2500.00 isnt a bad price.. its more then i would charge, but im sure u can find someone who can do better.

Like any DIY project YMMV! For example, I just redid my bedroom floor with wood flooring. Seemed like a real no brainer. Figured out pretty quickly that I was in over my head. :shock:

Luckily I have a neighbor who is a carpenter and who owed me a favor!

The floor looks great, btw!

I have had customers that have replaced their own liners and others that got into trouble and eneded up having to pay to get the job finished (and I suspect they ended up paying more since it was a 'fix it' job!)

Heckpools raises some very good points that I would carefully consider all of them before attempting the job yourself.

There are, indeed, concerns about a good fit, and those who do it for a living, know a lot of the tricks that you will not. Thus, I'm not 100% in favor of a DIY project.

However, if you know for sure the manufacturer of the pool kit, and that it was installed per their specs, you can often get a liner made for that pool kit. Since it's polymer, do you know the manufacturer, or have any clues? I'll try to steer you.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.