HELP - Pool light turning on by itself!

Feb 18, 2009
Last night when we came home from dinner that pool light was on. Of course, my husband and I both thought the other had turned it on -- until he went to bed and realized that it wasn't turned on at all -- at least not on the light switch that we have in our house. He flipped the switch on and off and nothing happned -- and the light stayed on. So, he went to bed and when we woke up early this morning, the light was off. I went and turned the switch on, it came on. I turned it off, and it went off -- as usual. So, we left it off, but then about 20 minutes later, the light came back on by itself -- and now remains on even though the switch in the house is still off.

Any ideas what may be going on? We have lived in this house less than a year and have never experienced this before. We have had a lot of rain lately, so I am wondering if that has something to do with it. I dont' believe in ghosts, but I do believe in scary things happening in pools where electricity is involved, so any thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Welcome to TFP!

Does this light perhaps have an X-10 remote control switch? X-10 switches are known for turning on and off on their own and can also fail in entertaining ways. If there is some other kind of automation system that has control over the light, there might be a problem with the automation system.

If it isn't an X-10 switch and there isn't an automation system controlling the light then you probably have a serious electrical problem going on. There would have to be some kind of short allowing power to get to the light even though it is turned off.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.