inground kiddie/wading pool

Jul 11, 2015
QC&VT
We're looking at building a 8'x8'x24" pool for the kids (1000 Gal.)

for location of filtration equipment could be in either location:
1- an enclosure below ground 2 feet from the pool. I would guess the bottom of the enclosure would be just deep enough
2- In the shed, which is about 35ft from the pool location, and above ground (obviously). The fllor of the shed is about 6in above ground level

I went to a few pool "stores" and they really didn't want to deal with this, they said it was $15k and basically they don't want to deal with 1000Gal pools. My next step is to look at a few pool contractors (not the stores0 and see if they want to do it. The last step is to do it myself (well, get the digging and concrete by a contractor)

I need some help in finding the correct equipment. from what I read, the water should be cycled in 8 hours, I guess I would run the filter only a short time each day. I also need filtration and salt/chlorine system, basically everything but in way smaller format.

Can anyone help me get started on what I need? Do I need a bootom drain or I can just have an inlet and outlet and clean the bottom myself? Do I need a skimmer or I can clean the surface myself? etc.

Any pointers greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

I would suggest putting the equipment at ground level besides the pool. If you put it in a hole, you will have huge problems keeping it dry and clean.

Skimmer not needed. Main drain not needed.

Is there a reason you don't want to purchase a 1k AG pool?

How old are your kids? Just a thought - the kids won't be small forever and you won't be able to make the pool deeper. If safety is your concern, I would consider AG until your kids are older and while they learn to swim (if they don't know already). I've had an IG pool for all of my kids lives. They both learned to swim early and we were very safety conscious.

[emoji176] Lisa P.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The inground reason is for aesthetics as it would be beside a sunken sand box.

The kids are currently 2.5 months and almost 2yo. We want a third one. We have a cottage so water is unlimited there on the weekends. This is more for the kids and visiting friends as well as get our feet cooler some evenings.

The sunken box Would be easily clean of water because its on a slope so one side is at ground level (I.e. no water staying there).

I will post my sketchup drawing.

Honestly, I think this idea is a great one, I even think I saw something like this on pinterest not too long ago.
While I personally agree that your babies will be little swimming fish in no time, I also think you'll get years of use out of the smaller play pool.
We just spent a TON of money on our new pool, but our 3yo doesn't like it, so we ended up dragging the little tykes pool up on the deck so that he can swim too.
I really want to see what you end up doing.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

Here are some pictures. Behind the fence is a slope towards the river, maybe 45 degrees or a little less. That's where the box Would be, below the ground level of my lawn (I own the land up to the middle of the river which is more like a stream)

p1qlulp.png

I am on the phone but I'll get close ups of the pool area and add the box location.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.