Cleaning a filter cartridge?

Jul 5, 2015
Leland/NC
I have the filter from my pool last year. It was only used for about 3 weeks before my pool turned into a swamp. I pulled it out today and ut doesn't look that bad. I've got it soaking in bleach after rinsing with hot water and brushing the debris out.
Do you think I'll be able to reuse in the new pool?

I use a standard Hayward replacement type cartridge for my pool. Typically I just use a good water nozzle to apply a good direct stream of water down the "ribs" of my filter. I keep a spare on-hand just in case. The spare I soaked in a mixture of regular tap water and Cascade (granular) dishwashing soap. It did a fairly good job. But my cartridge is only about $50 through Amazon, so it's almost just as easy to buy a new one rather than to try and salvage one through soaking rinsing, etc, etc.

So one cup of 8.25% bleach in 15 gallons (say in a 20 gallon garbage can) would be 360 ppm FC. That's not enough to destroy the cartridge (at least not very quickly) so that is good, but you don't need to do this since cleaning is more effectively done using trisodium phosphate (TSP) or dishwashing detergent or a commercial cartridge cleaner as described in the Pool School article.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.