Aqua Rite not generating - only the power light is on

May 25, 2007
Palermo, NJ
My Aqua Rite stopped generating chlorine a couple days ago. The power light comes on, but no other lights are on. The no-flow light doesn't blink when starting the pump as it normally would. Here are the numbers-

50P
AL - 8
r1.40

The chlorine ppm display was reading 2900 the day before it stopped working.

The AL-8 seems weird since it's only supposed to range from AL-0 to AL-5. It's usually on AL-0 since I don't have any automation. I tried changing it back to AL-0 by switching between auto and super-chlorinate, but it stays on AL-8. The switch itself seems to be good, as I can switch the temperature between Fahrenheit and Celsius.

My T-15 cell is 2 years old. I tried swapping it with a known working cell, but it didn't make a difference. The fuse looks good. With the fuse out, all lights and the display are off, so I'm assuming the fuse is good.

We had some thunderstorms in the area lately but I don't see any obvious signs of burning inside the control box or on the PCB board. The varistor seems to be completely intact, but it's cold to the touch. I'm wondering if that could mean it's failed, even though from what I've been reading, the power & generating lights usually come on briefly then go out when the varistor is bad.

Any ideas what else I can do to troubleshoot this? Does it sound like a bad PCB board?

Thanks,
Steve

You remove the display board and reinstall it. I have seen this happen only once before and I couldn't get it to reset. If it won't reset, you'll probably need a new board.

You said the tcell was two years old. Is the control panel the same age. If so, Aqua Rite warranties are usually 3 years. You can find out by looking at the serial number on the door. The first number (usually 3) is the warranty years. Anyway, if the lights aren't working, the problem won't be in the display board, it would be the pcb. It won't accept the changes your trying to make because the pcb is bad.

JamesW, I tried removing the display board and reinstalling it. Worth a shot but unfortunately it didn't help, so I'm guessing the pcb is shot.

HQPools, The cell is 2 years old, but the system is about nine years old.

I just ordered a replacement pcb. It didn't cost as much as I thought it would, and after nine problem-free years I really can't complain.

Thanks for all the advice. Hopefully I'll follow up in a couple days saying it's working again!

-Steve

Well I replaced the pcb and it's generating chlorine again! As an added bonus, it's dead silent when running now. The panel used to vibrate when it was generating and you could hear it from 20 feet away. It's done that since the day it was installed. With the new pcb it's so quiet that I had to check the returns for bubbles to make sure it's actually working.

-Steve

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.