Deep cleaning pump and the standpipe did not come loose from the head

Hello all! We decided to give our pump a deep clean,the pool is 8 years old and we have never done it. When we removed the head the standpipe was still connected to the head and now has become dislodged in the sand with the laterals still attached. Is there anyway we can straighten the standpipe and laterals without removing the sand altogether? Does anyone know of a way to get the stand pipe off the head? It is a Hayward pump S-220-T

Thanks in advance!
Leanne D

:( I don't want to be the one to tell you but.......... you are going to have to take the sand out to reset the pipe and laterals.

To take the pipe out of the head you need to gently turn and pull the two pieces at the same time. It might be best to have two people working on it. Slow but steady should do it.

Kim

Lol....I thought so! :p My hubby did get the pipe off but it took a lot of work due to how far the pipe was inserted in the head. We know now why it was hard to get off.....his hand shows how far it was inserted into the head (over 4 inches) and the damage that was done to the pipe when the pool company put the pump in. Does anyone know how far should the pipe fit into the head assembly. We are thinking of cutting off part of the pipe to make it easier to remove. Would this be ok? The sand is out and I am going to give it a rinse, then we will reinsert the standpipe and laterals.
Thanks so much for the info!
pool pipe.jpg

Leanne,

Do you have the manual for the filter? If so please find it and see how far it show the pipe goes up if it shows it. I am going to ask some of the more experienced people on their thoughts. Hold tight.

Kim

I found an online manual and it does not give a depth. We found a YouTube video on the installation of the S-220-T and the pipe certainly does not look like our pipe. We may just leave it until Monday and go to the pool company that installed it and get their opinion. It doesn't make sense to put the sand back in if we have to replace the standpipe.
We just can't seem to figure out why the pipe would look like that. It seems like it should just slip into the house on the valve cover but this pipe has been mangled!

Thanks so much for your help kimkats!

Leanne

Mangled is a good word for what you pipe looks like.

Hummmmmmmmm I wonder if that is the correct pipe for your filter??? Did someone as some time replace the pipe and force it on?

Just thinking out loud here.

You can put bleach in the water and walk around and stir it up to keep it from getting green.

Kim

Looks like your best bet will be to take the parts to the pool store and see what is normal for your filter. :(

Throwing this out there------------call the manufacturer of your filter and ask them about it. Ask if you can send them a pic of your pipe and see what they think happened. It is worth a try. You might have to talk to a couple of different people to find one that knows what they are talking about but..........

Kim

This is Hayward talking. Someone really mangled that pipe. It should easily slip up into the valve about 2". the part number for the lateral standpipe assembly for the S220T is SX220DA. If you are removing the sand please replace with new #20 silica sand.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.