Metals staining?

Jul 11, 2015
Edison, NJ
Hey gang,
First time posting, so thanks in advance for any help.
We opened the pool this year to what looked like algae on the surfaces of the vinyl, but it wouldn't brush off. Did some reading here and it seems like it is metal stains. We tested this stain by rubbing it with a lemon and an orange and it did lighten the stains somewhat. The pool store recommended a citrus stain eliminator made by Spec Chem. So now we're letting the chlorine levels drop to the recommended 0.0 to 0.1.
My questions is: now what? My head is spinning from the different advice. Sequester agents, how to bring up the chlorine levels, etc, etc. Can anyone provide an easily understood step by step on how to deal with this whole process? Again, thanks in advance!

OK, I followed the directions above in the link you provided (thanks). We finally got the chlorine dropped down to 0.00 and we put in 2lbs of citric acid, and it was amazing to watch the stains disappear. It worked well. There's still a few spots left though. However we woke up this morning to a very cloudy pool.
A few questions: (19,500 gal. in-ground, vinyl liner)
- What do we do about the cloudy water?
-Exactly how much chlorine at a time do we reintroduce?
-The Jack's Magic is the sequestering agent, right? How much at a time do we put in the pool, and how do we do it? Broadcast over the surface? In the skimmer?
Thanks so much for your help. It's amazing you all take the time to help strangers. I'm most grateful you're out there!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.