Random Pinholes in Intex Ultra 16'x48" Liner

Jul 11, 2015
Trenton, NJ
Hello TFP community, I am a new member and I hope someone can help me solve a mystery.
We have been through 3 very successful seasons with our current pool, an Intex Ultra 16'x48" with filter plus Krystal Klear saltwater system.
We take down and store everything very carefully. We store the liner in a huge heavy duty plastic container (with nothing else in it) in our outdoor storage shed over winter.
We just put it up last night for the 2015 season, filled it overnight, and this morning we discovered about 12 leaking pinholes in the liner at various heights (from a few inches to 3+feet) in various places all around the circumference.
There are even 1 or 2 underneath the outer band that wraps around the outside of the lower end of the liner.
We have gone around and patched them all (my brave husband went into the still-frigid water to do this).
But we are wondering what would have caused this? I suspected cats, but I think some of the holes are too high for that. It happened too suddenly to be vandals, besides, this thing is impossible to see from anywhere but our house/yard.
Does anyone know of any way this could have occurred spontaneously during storage? We did not have these leaks at the end of last season or either of the 2 previous seasons, so it's not because the liner came to us that way.
Thank you for any suggestions that might help us to prevent this happening again.

I am also experiencing issues this year after my Intex 22x52 Ultra Frame pool has leaks at the bottom seam.
http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/100268-Seam-leak-Intex-22-x-52-quot-Ultra-Frame-Swimming-Pool

Seams I can understand, but being higher in just random spots on the other hand is a bit different. But this really is not unheard of. I don't know if the pools are just finicky about how they are folded and develop cracks in the vinyl after sitting and then being expanded again. I would be interested in seeing a picture of the location in the 3 feet area you mentioned.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.