Intex Ultra Upgrade

gc981

Sep 28, 2013
We have an 18x48 Intex quick set pool (not sure if that is the name, the one with the inflatable ring) and I was thinking about when it fails, upgrading to a 22x52 Ultra frame but after reading some of the posts it sounds like it is just a lot of additional cost and a bunch of hastle just to get a slightly bigger pool that is only 4 inches deeper and the extra money would be better spent elsewhere. Thoughts?

I have had the 16x48, 18x48, and currently have the Intex 22' x 52" Ultra Frame. I would agree with 'jblizzle' that it might not seem like much, but it really does make a big difference in the amount of water and room you gain. You are not only gaining 4 inchesfeet in diameter, but 4 inches in height as well.
The 16x48 holds 5,061 gallons at 90% capacity.
The 18x48 holds 6,423 gallons at 90% capacity.
The 22x52 holds 10,472 gallons at 90% capacity.

There is not a great deal of difference between the 16 and 18 since only the diameter is changing 4 inches2 feet. But you can see a great difference between the
18 and 22 since its gaining both 4 inches in height and 4 feet diameter. Sorry if this was repeated lol.

One thing I would take into consideration is the pump and filter for the 22x52. A lot of people use the stock pump and filter that comes with it. I have replaced them
with a Hayward pump and sand filter mainly to gain more circulation. I also am using the Intex Salt Water System.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just last weekend, we took down our 18x48 Easy Set and put the 18x48 Ultra Frame on the existing pad. There is a HUGE difference! The straight walls added about 2.5 feet to the diameter, and we can fill about 2-3" deeper. Moving up to a 22x52 is definitely an upgrade.

That being said, if you have the space and the energy/$ for leveling, no ever regretted going larger.

Don't hesitate about going from the easy set to the Ultra, its way easier to put up, built better, and much more swimming area. I had the easyset for 3 years, on my 2nd year with Ultra, and what a difference it is. I would never go back to the other one, love the Ultra.

Just last weekend, we took down our 18x48 Easy Set and put the 18x48 Ultra Frame on the existing pad. There is a HUGE difference! The straight walls added about 2.5 feet to the diameter, and we can fill about 2-3" deeper. Moving up to a 22x52 is definitely an upgrade.

That being said, if you have the space and the energy/$ for leveling, no ever regretted going larger.

Thanks everyone for your responses. Actually I think a better question would have been for the same size, is it worth the extra cost. I was just thinking that the price difference would be better spent on deck chairs or decking but aesthetics is worth something and I think the big blue jelly bean look of easy sets is another argument against just replacing with the same thing. What you are saying also is that going to a 52 inch ultra frame is really adding half a foot in water depth when you add in the additional depth you can put in the pool.

Thanks so much for your insights.

The covers on the easy set are also a royal pain. I have had to replace mine as frequently as every few months and to keep it on I have to use tarp clamps, rope, and tent stakes. I think making one out of sunbrella or canvas may be worth the trouble.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.