Solar cover weight and type

Feb 17, 2008
I'm in need of a solar cover and found a place on-line with good prices. Question is they have 16 mil for $10 cheaper than the 12 mil for standard bubble. For about $40 more they have the diamond bubble. I'm looking at the clear, but can anyone shed some light on the weight and diamond vs standard bubble?

Thanks.

Re: Solar cover weight and typ

The diamond is often extruded which is longer lasting. Heavier gauge lasts longer but is more difficult too put on and remove without a reel.

Thanks for the info. It is weird as when I do a comparison on the site for my size 20x40 it doesn't give as many stars for longevity for the diamond shape as it does for the bubble. Wonder if it is a typo.

I was thinking of splitting it in half for my pool, do you think the 15 mil is too heavy to pull in for my pool?
IMG_2355.JPG

frustratedpoolmom said:
Yes, IMPO I do. I had the heavy one and after a few years I could no longer remove it by myself, and that's a 24' round ag pool... I think splitting it in half is a good idea.

Thanks. I think I may look into the 12 mil then and follow up with the supplier on why they show the longevity of the diamond as lower than the bubble.

Definitely need something as whenever I tried using my heat pump last year it would lose any gains I might have had during the night.

Hope I'm not hijacking the thread, but... as I have a very irregular shape pool also,
I was wondering--do you just get a cover that's too big and cut it to fit?
Or are the edges sealed in some way, making it a bad idea to cut?
--paulr

PaulR said:
Hope I'm not hijacking the thread, but... as I have a very irregular shape pool also,
I was wondering--do you just get a cover that's too big and cut it to fit?
Or are the edges sealed in some way, making it a bad idea to cut?
--paulr

Yep, cut to fit.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.