How long your Ultra Frame INTEX lasted?

We have had two...first one frame rusted out. That one was first on the market at the time and it lasted about 4-5 years. Our second and current one is about three years and frame is good but leaks loosing about and inch every twelve hours. The leaks are somewhere under bladder. For the cost and the number of intex pools purchased (our first was 12' bladder, then 18" bladder, then 24' Framed, and currently 24' Ultra Frame) we opted to bite the bullet and purchase a more permanent resin hybrid pool. The Intexs were nice as they grew with the kids, but if budget allows you can purchase a better quality, longer lasting pool. In our particular situation we have put so much effort in site location preparation (each pool moved to new location in yard) and time and expense we should have done it years ago. Hope our experience helps you.

My first.an 18', gotten taken down two months ago. It looked new. I didn't take mine down for winter, as that seems to be when the problems with holes arise. Didn't see much rust, just little spots here and there, that were definitely only on the surface. We took it down, gave it to a friend for their help leveling the ground in a different spot for the new 26' one we bought. We didn't use a SWG.

How long it last? and what was the reason for the fail?

Thank you
I have had the Intex 32x16x52 ultra pool up for 2 years and running saltwater system took it down replaced all of the upper frame and set back up as chlorine pool so far 2 years no rusting. The saltwater system was hard to keep the chemicals right. Not sure if it was because of where I live but I have had better luck with the chlorine system. I am upgrading to a hayward pump and sand filter today the Intex pump is old and tired.

Last edited:
We had a 16X48 for two years, then upgraded to an 18X48 two years ago. All parts were in good shape with just a little surface rust here and there. Since we only have it up a little more than 3 months out of the year I suspect we'll get many more years out of it.

This is my third year with my Intex 22' x 52" Ultra Frame. The first two years was fine and dandy. We moved to a new house so we took the pool down and stored it. Since we put it back up, it's been nothing but problems with leaking at the seam. I wish we had never had to take it down. I am not the only person who has had issues with the pool being fine, storing it; and then problems with leaking after being put back it. I think the issue might have something to do with the seams drying up and just aren't the same again. I am currently trying to re-seal the seams again today.

With that exception, I am more then happy with my Intex Pool and hope to get a couple more years out of it.

Mine is approaching 2 years and I have had no problems so far. I leave it up. it had one small hole just above the bottom on the the wall at set-up that was patched with the peel-off vinyl patch and it is still holding. I think it happened dragging that huge box out of the truck. Someone in the family didn't sweep the bed out after a load to the dump and there was broken glass in there. :rolleyes:

I expect I will get at least a couple more years out of it. I was mostly worried about sun damage to the top where it hangs on the rails but based on two summers it still feels pretty good.

We have had an Intex ultra frame 18x48 for 4 years. I upgraded the pump/ filter to a sand filter and also a a thru the wall skimmer this year. After the first year we changed to a salt water system. Aside from a little rust along the edges of the T unions, we have had no issues. Well worth the $200 spent. Will probably buy another for the grand kids when the time comes.

We have had two...first one frame rusted out. That one was first on the market at the time and it lasted about 4-5 years. Our second and current one is about three years and frame is good but leaks loosing about and inch every twelve hours. The leaks are somewhere under bladder. For the cost and the number of intex pools purchased (our first was 12' bladder, then 18" bladder, then 24' Framed, and currently 24' Ultra Frame) we opted to bite the bullet and purchase a more permanent resin hybrid pool. The Intexs were nice as they grew with the kids, but if budget allows you can purchase a better quality, longer lasting pool. In our particular situation we have put so much effort in site location preparation (each pool moved to new location in yard) and time and expense we should have done it years ago. Hope our experience helps you.

I should mention we kept ours up year round. 3 years should be fine. I will recommend a good pump and filter (no cartridges). We bought a good 1 hp with 22" sand filter after second pool and we hard plumbed last year with wide mouth skimmer we installed (with water in pool). The adapters to regular plumping from Intex was challenging but well worth the effort. The pump and sand filter will serve us well with the new pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hubby and I were out riding our motorcycle today and we passed a house that has the same Intex up now for 5 years now. It's not settled at all. They cover it every year and have a deck on it.

We are on year 2 of out 12x24 intex. Winterized it and covered it over winter. Opened it back up with no problems, no wear to speak of and no leaks. For $900 it was a great investment. If it only lasted 2 more years I would be fine with that but I think it will last another 4-6 with proper care.

Reactions: sammckin
I have a Bestway steel framed pool, which is basically an Intex pool. Same principles of construction. Mine is a year old, and I had some rust spots on three of the cross bars and some rust bloom on several of the uprights. I scrubbed the rust spots with a wire brush then painted with Rustoleum Rust Reformer and then again with Rustoleum Stops Rust primer. We'll see how that works. I hope to get at least 5 years out of it before I have to replace it.

Our friends have had their Intex up for 6 years, which is a big reason I took the plunge. From what he says, it is all about maintenance and care. This year he is replacing a few of the cross bars due to rust. He said, if he was going to take it apart to paint why not just replace.

My first one lasted 4 years, current one is on year 3. I’m likely going with a resin AGP next year.

I'm now on year 8 and just watching to see how long it will go. there is a new hole in the bottom (rock between foam and pool) that needs a patch but the vinyl has gotten so stiff and old, the glue doesn't work well. the sun exposed areas are fraying badly, two sleeves have started splitting and are now held together with as-seen-on-teevee tape. all are painted with as-seen-on-teevee paint and could use another coar. a bunch of legs are about to rust out at the very bottoms and one leg has already been propped up with a couple of lengths of 2 x 4. other than that the thing is fine! the old pump is rattling away, never dies despite muliple times of low water and sucking air for hours over the years.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.