Sodium dichloro-s-triazinetrione dihydrate = dichlor?

Jun 28, 2014
Kent, Ohio
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I bought a bucket of chlorine and what I got is labeled Sodium dichloro-s-triazinetrione dihydrate granules. When I use http://www.thepoolcalculator.com, there are several drop downs. The one I'm using that looks the closest is Dichlor. There is not a percentage on the drop down, although the bucket says 56% available chlorine. Am I using the correct drop down?

Thanks

There are technically two types of dichlor: anhydrous and dihydrate. However, pretty much the only one you see available is the dihydrate and that is what PoolMath assumes. The dihydrate is 55% Available Chlorine while the anhydrous is 64%. Usually the product concentration of sodium dichloroisocyanurate aka sodium dichloro-s-triazinetrione is 99%.

By the way, you should be using PoolMath and NOT The Pool Calculator since the latter is no longer maintained (it was sold to a company that stopped maintaining it so we use PoolMath instead that has some bug fixes and some additional features).

When you use poolmath , plug in your pool size and your numbers and then scroll down to Effects of Adding Chemicals. Put in the dose it recommends of dichlor and see what you're doing to the CYA and the pH. See what the whole bucket of Dichlor will do to your pool chemistry. If you have hard water and no CYA, maybe it's a good choice. If your CYA is already in range, or high, you'll be making things worse.

Thanks for the heads up on Pool Math, and also on the Dichlor.
I know we went through this last year, and due to the fact that I drain the pool annually, it is pretty easy for me to use Dichlor, and TriChlor pucks in the auto feeder. As I get close to the end of the season, nad my CYA gets above 60, what is my alternative for chlorine without adding CYA? Is liquid bleach it?

Thanks again!

Thanks for the heads up on Pool Math, and also on the Dichlor.
I know we went through this last year, and due to the fact that I drain the pool annually, it is pretty easy for me to use Dichlor, and TriChlor pucks in the auto feeder. As I get close to the end of the season, nad my CYA gets above 60, what is my alternative for chlorine without adding CYA? Is liquid bleach it?

Thanks again!
Bleach leaves nothing but salt behind. Cal-hypo raises CH, which may or may not be a bad idea depending on test results.

I'm struggling with low CH. I've added 75 pounds of calcium chloride already this year, so maybe I'll get some Cal-Hypo instead of all those gallons of bleach.

I just played with the "effects" portion on the bottom of pool math. Good stuff.

Thanks!

Agreed. Since you drain and refill seasonally, you could easily start off with dichlor, then switch to using bleach and/or cal-hypo (not at the same time though) once your stabilizer level hits 40-50ppm. Your situation is one of the few times that trichlor/dichlor/cal-hypo makes sense to use for regular pool chlorination.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Agreed. Since you drain and refill seasonally, you could easily start off with dichlor, then switch to using bleach and/or cal-hypo (not at the same time though) once your stabilizer level hits 40-50ppm. Your situation is one of the few times that trichlor/dichlor/cal-hypo makes sense to use for regular pool chlorination.

Good luck.

Planning ahead for next year- you say not to use bleach and cal-hypo at the same time. Could you please define same time, and how I old use these together?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Planning ahead for next year- you say not to use bleach and cal-hypo at the same time. Could you please define same time, and how I old use these together?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I meant to not mix them in the pool together. You could switch between them on a daily basis. One other method would be to start with dichlor and use that until your CYA hits 50ppm. Then switch to using cal-hypo until your calcium hardness hit about 350ppm. Then, finish the season with bleach.

Honestly, I wouldn't even bother with the cal-hypo because I'd prefer to use bleach but many like it the convenience of the powdered form.

As long as you maintain the proper FC/CYA ratio and you keep your water balanced and within the recommended ranges, then you can use whatever form of chlorine suits your needs. The point of the TFPC Method is to know what the effects of adding chemical are on your water and to apply that knowledge to keep your water balanced and properly sanitized. Most people with pools don't have the flexibility you seem to have with annual water exchanges, so that is why folks don't use some types of chlorine

:shock:

It's your pool, I'm not to judge, but that seems like a waste of 42K gallons of natural resources annually.

I'm also curious for the reasoning.

Dom

Not to pile on the "don't drain your pool" crowd, but did the pool builder say you could do that?

Typically with plaster pools (the Hydrazzo stuff looks really nice!), you want to keep the water in the pool to moderate temperature swings and maintain the water pressure against the plaster/pool surface. This is done to avoid cracking the plaster and floating your pool out of the ground. Do the CL Industries people say it's ok to drain it and leave it empty? Is your water table sufficiently low enough to handle the empty pool?

I meant to not mix them in the pool together. You could switch between them on a daily basis. One other method would be to start with dichlor and use that until your CYA hits 50ppm. Then switch to using cal-hypo until your calcium hardness hit about 350ppm. Then, finish the season with bleach.

Honestly, I wouldn't even bother with the cal-hypo because I'd prefer to use bleach but many like it the convenience of the powdered form.

This seems like great advice. Thank you.

Not to pile on the "don't drain your pool" crowd, but did the pool builder say you could do that?

Typically with plaster pools (the Hydrazzo stuff looks really nice!), you want to keep the water in the pool to moderate temperature swings and maintain the water pressure against the plaster/pool surface. This is done to avoid cracking the plaster and floating your pool out of the ground. Do the CL Industries people say it's ok to drain it and leave it empty? Is your water table sufficiently low enough to handle the empty pool?

I'm in the very small minority here, but my pool has 2 purposes. We swim in it for the 3 months of summer we (sometimes) get here in Ohio.
It's full of snow and ice for 2-3 months.
The leftover time is spent skateboarding in the pool.

I'm constantly worried about floating the pool, and cracking. And to you, my coping probably looks terrible. To me it looks great.
I talked to several other people that have used Hydrazzo before building it, and have a well point pump under the pool to keep the water out when it is empty.
The water costs money, and the inevitable repairs will cost money, but we get tons more enjoyment out of the pool this way.

Notice all of the skateboard parks around the country. Many of them have pools that never have water in them, and I've never heard of one floating. Nevertheless, I built it slightly differently, and stay concerned.

I'm in the very small minority here, but my pool has 2 purposes. We swim in it for the 3 months of summer we (sometimes) get here in Ohio.
It's full of snow and ice for 2-3 months.
The leftover time is spent skateboarding in the pool.

I'm constantly worried about floating the pool, and cracking. And to you, my coping probably looks terrible. To me it looks great.
I talked to several other people that have used Hydrazzo before building it, and have a well point pump under the pool to keep the water out when it is empty.
The water costs money, and the inevitable repairs will cost money, but we get tons more enjoyment out of the pool this way.

Notice all of the skateboard parks around the country. Many of them have pools that never have water in them, and I've never heard of one floating. Nevertheless, I built it slightly differently, and stay concerned.

I grew up on Long Island and the temperatures are fairly well moderated there due to the ocean. Even then, the warm summer months are so short I never thought building a pool there was a very good idea. But folks do it and they love it so I say, to each his own.

You have found an interesting use for your pool when it is just too cold out to be useful, so I say, good for you! I don't think I said anything negative about your coping. If you like the way your pool looks, then that's fine by me.

So enjoy your pool/skate board park! Hopefully the water table stays low.

I didn't take offense at anything anyone said.
I just figure that most people would not like coping that is ground down, and brown from urethane spray.

I'll post some pictures of the cracks and wear once we drain it again.

I should also write an Intellibrite light review, as mine has seen more abuse than most ever will!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.