Testing for residual Baquacil

arbrey

Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Aug 24, 2013
Chicopee, MA
In process of converting back to chlorine. Was told by pool store (who opened my pool this year) to scoop a bucket of pool water add chlorine to bucket, if it turns black, then you still have too much baquacil in the pool. If this is a valid test, then it seems a lot easier to go through than what I have been reading. I am 73 yrs old and believe me , reading what some of these people are going through scares me!

While that may work for the bulk water in the pool, the Baq is hiding in all the nooks, crannies and even in the filter. When you add chlorine you are going to have a mess for a while.

While that may work for the bulk water in the pool, the Baq is hiding in all the nooks, crannies and even in the filter. When you add chlorine you are going to have a mess for a while.

Tnks for coming back. I understand I'm not going to get away without some mess. Just thought doing it this way would lessen the effort? Now I have to plan the logistics, wife tells me she doesn't want to lose any swim time. Weather here in MA has shorten the swim season even more this year. Again tnks

In process of converting back to chlorine. Was told by pool store (who opened my pool this year) to scoop a bucket of pool water add chlorine to bucket, if it turns black, then you still have too much baquacil in the pool. If this is a valid test, then it seems a lot easier to go through than what I have been reading. I am 73 yrs old and believe me , reading what some of these people are going through scares me!

I am in the same boat you are in. (thread- help with baquacil for the last year) I did not want to loose any pool time this year because of the colder weather, we opened up the pool later than usual. I am trying to get through this year with the baquacil but I am definitely going to switch next year. My pool was brown with scum on the top for a week. It has now changed to a lighter green, running the filter for 48 hours. I just want to get through this season.

Your not the only one scared to change.
Keep reading the threads.
wott in CT

When it comes to a conversion, any amount of BQ oxidizer or Algistat/Sanitizer is too much. It seems that the more you have, the more "goo" will rise to the surface of the pool. In all the threads that I've read and in my own personal experience, I never saw black water. I will say though that the less you have in the pool, the better.

The last straw for me was the cloudy water. I spent a significant amount of money last year (in the $750 range if I had to guess), and even for the first part of this season ($couple hundred), and I still couldn't clear up the water. So it really depends what you feel comfortable swimming in. Since my conversion, crystal clear water is so much more inviting than a cloudy mess where you can barely even make out the liner pattern in the shallow end, let alone the main drain.

Though timing typically varies, In my case, and the ones I read in preparation, my conversion was fairly quick. You just have to stay diligent. Test every hour over a couple days and boost the FC level to 15 each time using Pool Math to tell you how much Liquid Chlorine to add. If you are in Massachusetts, go buy about 4 cases or of liquid "shock" at Ocean State Job Lot while you wait for your test kit to arrive. Don't worry about over-buying because you will use it eventually, I have a larger pool, but I went through over 6 six cases in the first 48 hours. I suggest OSJL because they sell 12.5% Sodium Hypochlorite liquid for $2.99/bottle (I don't know what they sell it for at Namco or Leslie's because frankly, I've stepped foot in Namco and/or Leslie's a grand total of once since my conversion and that was to buy a new skimmer basket and sand). Just stay away from the powder or granules. Then follow How to convert a Baquacil pool to chlorine to a tee.

Oh yeah, if you do decide to convert, take some pictures. They are fun to look at and you will be able to see your progress as time goes on. It's hard to remember little changes when multiple hours pass in between.

Tnks for the vote of confidence. Have had a pool for 23 years. Finally had to replace liner 2 years ago and brother suggested Baqua. He had been using it for years and according to him never had any trouble. Since I've been using I've had White mold, pink slime and this some brown scum that hasn't been defined as yet. By my brother and I are still talking. Looking forward to next season(grin)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.