Leveling Problem Need Help Urgently

It measures the height of the ground. To a very accurate degree. Like within 1/8" or less.

Much less than 1/8" - geez if we were off by 1/8" after closing a leveling run in college - that was not a good thing.

If you are using a transit / level / theodolite / total station, you need to may sure your rod person has that rod vertical, no leaning forwards or backwards. Some rod have a level in them, but you can always just "wave" the rod. Have your rodman tilt the rod towards and away from your station. When it shows its highest reading, it is level.

If you can get a transit for free, by all means, use it. When I put a new liner in this summer, I wanted to check just how level the pool was. I slapped together a water level using $15 worth of clear tubing and some spring clamps I had laying around. Its good enough for leveling a pool. If you go the water level route, you need to make sure there are no air bubbles in the tubing, it has to be all water. Otherwise it is one of the simplest things to use.

When setting up, the level on a rotating stick works well. Your stick does not need to be straight, you just need to use it consistently. Used that way, your legs may not be level with the center, but they will all be level with each other, which is what matters the most. I could not use that method when checking my pool for level because the pool was already up, so I just used the water level to check the consistency of the top edge of the pool.

-dave

It measures the height of the ground. To a very accurate degree. Like within 1/8" or less.

I know what a transit is and what it does. My point is that it just complicates the whole process. Nothing is simpler or easier than a rotating piece of wood and a level, at least for a round pool. You can find 2-4s that at close to straight.

More complicated than a level. A transit requires two people. I could do it using satellites, wouldn't be that complicated, but a bubble level is still simpler. Too each his own though.

I did the laser transit solo. The laser spin on the top of the device, that stands on a tripod. A hand held receive beep and tells you whether to move it higher or lower along the measuring pole, lights up blue when you've hit the mark. First time around I marked with a crayon on the block how much I needed to lower it to be level. Once all the blocks were level, it was easier to do the long board with the level on it to level the sand, tamp it, then recheck with the transit.

PA Girl - I thank you for your post. I drained all my water out of the pool, when out and got a transit, came back home and started with the highest ground point, marked that and made the rest of the ground post with pavers this time and it's working like a charm. Thanks again. Now how do you close a post?

Wow. Do you mean you dug down to make them all match or are you saying you stacked pavers to make the lower legs higher? I can't quite picture what you said.

If it's the latter just make sure you keep an eye on your seams at the bottom curve. If you've technically "lifted" one side it could put extra stress on the liner.

Or maybe I just read it wrong.

Either way, I hope it continues to work out for you!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You're welcome. I usually just leave an old post to fall into to the deep depths of the forum, it doesn't take too long for the new posts to send it a few pages back. You could always add a picture soon of your sparkly water you get from using the TFP method! Hope you get to enjoy your pool for a long time!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.