Installed SWG, How to test?

perryy

Aug 7, 2007
NC
I got my SWG going this afternoon and am letting it run overnight. I've read the excellent post about balancing with a SWG. My question is - I have a Taylor Complete test kit I've been using pre-SWG - Which of those tests are still usable with the salt water pool and for which ones do I need a different testing method from this point? Thanks!

You will still perform the same tests. - FC, CC, PH, Cya, TA, CH and you may also want to invest in a Taylor salt test.

The SWG converts the salt to FC so you still need to know
Those levels to know if your SWG is maintaining the right amount of FC. SWG pools need to have more CYA. 60-80 ppm

[emoji176] Lisa P.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You may need to test more often at first to figure out your best SWG run time and % out put. Right now I run 2 hours in the AM, 4 hours in the afternoon and 2 hours in the evening. It's hot here and my pool is in full sun so I'm running at 60% to maintain an FC of 6.

[emoji176] Lisa P.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, I found a great place to order replacement Taylor reagents. Amato Industries, in the DC area. Price was about half of what I could find on Amazon, and shipping is free. So, I ordered the two reagents needed for SW testing and I don't need a to buy a new kit.

However, your "complete" kit probably has a DPD chlorine test, but you should have the FAS-DPD chlorine test so that you will be able to accurately measure within 0.5 ppm or even 0.2 ppm if you need to. You can get that kit here at TFTestkits and it will supplement what you already have. Also check out the reagent prices at TFTestkits, especially when they are discounted annually as a pack once a year since they are very economical then.

You can tell if you have a DPD chlorine test because it has a comparator tube where you see the intensity of pink/red of 1, 2, 3, 5, 7.5, 10 while the FAS-DPD is a "count the drops" test (similar to the TA and CH titration tests) where each drop is either 0.5 ppm or 0.2 ppm FC depending on sample size. It lets you test for CC much more easily as well since with DPD it would be very hard to see 1 ppm CC when the FC was 5 ppm.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.