Any Pool Calculator feature requests for spring 2009?

JasonLion said:
Durk, thanks for the suggestion. I will add that to my wish list for possible inclusion in a future version.

My pleasure. Hey, if it's a wish list...how about an 'Export' button that would dump my actual readings to a CSV file. I could then write something to import those into my Excel Pool Log (readings + dosages applied, normally done weekly). As it is, I have to put the same values in to PC once, and then into the log. I'm real lazy.....

It would be great to have the categories already requested by someone else, which were:

SWG-Plaster
SWG-Vinyl
SWG-Fiberglass
NO SWG - Plaster
NO SWG - Vinyl
NO SWG - Fiberglass

Personally, if you added just "SWG-Vinyl" that would work for me. If it could default the target values for each attribute tested it would be great.

Thanks.

jhirsch1 said:
It would be great to have the categories already requested by someone else, which were:

SWG-Plaster
SWG-Vinyl
SWG-Fiberglass
NO SWG - Plaster
NO SWG - Vinyl
NO SWG - Fiberglass

I am not sure I understand what you are trying to say. Currently you can select those six combinations, and three others besides. The UI is slightly different, but it already does exactly what you are asking for.

Sorry, you are right. I didn't see that until you just pointed it out. I used the calc all last year, I hope it wasn't there and I missed it. Anyway, I'm glad it is there, I will be taking advantage of it very soon. Thanks for the great tool.

JasonLion said:
jhirsch1 said:

SWG-Plaster
SWG-Vinyl
SWG-Fiberglass
NO SWG - Plaster
NO SWG - Vinyl
NO SWG - Fiberglass

I am not sure I understand what you are trying to say. Currently you can select those six combinations, and three others besides. The UI is slightly different, but it already does exactly what you are asking for.

My pleasure. Hey, if it's a wish list...how about an 'Export' button that would dump my actual readings to a CSV file. I could then write something to import those into my Excel Pool Log (readings + dosages applied, normally done weekly). As it is, I have to put the same values in to PC once, and then into the log. I'm real lazy.....

Ditto on the export! :wave:

Jason,

I use this daily and really like it. Thank you for all the work you've put into it. Here are a couple of things I've noticed.

1.) Using Google's Chrome browser on Windows XP, if I hit 'enter' after typing in a value (I think the ph or fc), the fields all reset to their default values. I don't know if the data on the page is reloading, or something else is going on. I don't see the page actually refresh, just all the values reset.

2.) Since high chlorine levels affect pH, is there a way to estimate what the elevated pH should be based on the high chlorine level? Is this a normal/linear calculation?

3.) Another thread awhile back talked about lowering the TA in a spa using an alternate technique. One of the things mentioned was that for a certain volume of water, a starting TA, and an ending TA, it was possible to calculate exactly how much acid would be required to lower the TA to the target level. If this is correct, would it be possible to show that estimate when lowering the TA? I realize there would need to be a caution about not adding it all at once, but I don't know if I'm going to need one gallon, or 50 (over time of course) to get the TA to the new target.

Thanks!

1) That should be fixed now.
2) This is tricky and not especially useful. The changes don't happen at exactly the same FC level each time, depending on other levels. I will add it to my wish list, for possible inclusion in a future version.
3) You can figure this out currently using the effects of adding chemicals section. You need to do a little more work than it really has to take, entering various values to figure out which one has the effect you want, but it can be done.

Jason-could you explain the pH add calcs. It seems the present pool calc estimates 70% of what I need to change pH. If that is the intent to force partial adds, then a disclaimer would be helpful

For my 29000 gal pool I need 32-36oz oz of muratic acid to move pH from 7.8 to 7.5 with TA at 80ppm. The Pool calc provides an estimate of 23 oz

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I make every effort to give you the real number. However, PH calculations depend on a large number of factors and it difficult to take them all into account. One possibility is that you have some borates in the water and either don't know it or haven't entered it. It is also possible you have entered your pool volume incorrectly. Several other things could cause that which are rare but more difficult to check for.

In any case, as you get more familiar with your pool, you will k ow how to adjust the numbers you calculate.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.