cloudy water/green pool

Jul 12, 2011
Seattle Area
Been fighting a green pool since 7/5. I shocked the pool and was left with cloudy water.

After shocking it was lacking CYA. Finally registering the CYA I added but pool starting to look green again even after adding needed bleach every other day due to what my results were.

I use the Taylor testing kit.
I have a 4200 AGP with sand filter

Today's results are:

FC 1.6
PH 7.3
TA 100
CH 40ppm
CYA 100

I'm holding off adding the 17 oz of bleach until I get some feedback.
I could have sworn someone told me the Calcium Hardness was not important with a vinyl AGP. Is that true?
Any thoughts would help.
THanks!

Last edited:
OK, you've got a LOT of reading to do. My first thoughts are this:

CYA - you have a *minimum* of 100, since that is the limit of the test. That needs to be lowered.

Chlorine should be higher and with a CYA of 100+. you, effectively, have no chlorine in the pool. So, no surprise that you have an algae bloom.

pH is OK, and you can ignore the CH. TA is a tad high, but you need to get the CYA and chlorine sorted out, first.

Do a dilution test on the CYA, so we'll know where you stand, but I really feel that a partial drain and refill is in your future....

Okay Michele, let's get that water clear again ok? Here's a good roadmap to get you going:
Your FC is very low and we know you need to "SLAM", but your CYA is extremely high. You can't do anything yet until you get that CYA down to a manageable level (at least 50 or below). 30 is ideal for a SLAM. SO before you add anything to your pool right now, I would drain first, perhaps about a 50% drain, refill, then test again. If your CYA is at least down to 50, then we can start a Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain to get you clear again.

While it's draining, stock-up on some bleach and read this Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain link to make sure you understand it well. Let us know if you have any questions.

After shocking it was lacking CYA. Finally registering the CYA I added but pool starting to look green again even after adding needed bleach every other day due to what my results were.

why did you think it was lacking CYA? What was your CYA reading when you decided it was lacking? And what reference did you use to come to the conclusion that the number was too low? And how did you decide on how much CYA to add?

You should use the pool math calculator to get an idea of how much of anything to add. You seemingly went from lacking CYA to having way too much and needing a partial drain, so we want to make sure you are familiar with the process of testing, entering your numbers, and comparing to the goals and knowing how much to add. if you have the Taylor 2006 kit, with the 7/7 mix bottle for the CYA test, you should be able to get good numbers. though as was said, you'll need to dilute your pool water. from JasonLion:

If your CYA level is 90 or higher, repeat the test adjusting the procedure as follows:a. Fill the mixing bottle to the lower mark with pool water.
b. Continue filling the mixing bottle to the upper mark with tap water.
c. Shake briefly to mix.
d. Pour off half of the contents of the mixing bottle, so it is again filled to the lower mark.
e. Continue the test normally from step 3, but multiply the final result by two.

Also, when you add CYA it make take a week to show up on the test.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.