filling going wrong, liner very unequal, Help!!!

Tere

Bronze Supporter
May 30, 2015
Colorado Springs
Just when I thought all was going well the over lap liner ( 25 gauge liner, 18 ft x 48 ") is hanging about 1 inch on one side and 10 inches on the opposite side. The pool only has 5 inches of water. Help! Is this a dump and redo?

The side with 1 inch and only 4 inches of water in the pool. Its the side that has the skimmer.

oh Crud 1_zpsuhx3xrnb.jpg Photo by Teresa_Lundquist | Photobucket

This is the opposite side

oh Crud 2_zpstquhzfea.jpg Photo by Teresa_Lundquist | Photobucket

I have the liner nicely even of so I thought pre water. I asked a few days ago does it matter where the overlap liner seam bottom falls cause it was handing like 5 inches above the foam cove. One response said "no it's ok to be uneven" but I think during the de wrinkling process I favored one side more than the other. It rained last night 2 inches so the pool got a head start with water. I worked all the wrinkles out with the 2 inches of water.

There's no way it's going to be safe with 1 inch of line hanging over> Usually I wouldn't have a problem dumping this much water as we are in high mountain desert and my pasture and trees would love a drink. BUT it's been raining for almost every day for 10 weeks.

I 'm not sure how to empty? I know the trick of filling up a garden hose coiled underwater and then drag one end of the hose to a lower area. My hose has many harsh metal connections and is super heavy.

I do have a brand new Hayward 2 speed pump, a 50 ft discharge hose. I have white plastic pool cleaning hoses and a lot of screw clamps. The sand filter came with some kind of reducer things to go between the sand filter and hoses.

I'm thinking I should hook up the hayward pump and make sure it does not run dry.

I was doing so good de wrinkling, it was so cool in the morning too, Now it's going to be blasting heat today.

I ma thankful it didn't hail. 20 miles away they had 4 " hail. What do folks do for hail? I do have a rip stop winter cover I could sacrifice, maybe use the solar cover too?

I would think with it being that much off, one of your bottom seams is going to be well on the bottom, which is going to cause a huge wrinkle that you will never get out. Part of the wall will be on the bottom, and will never lay flat.

I see you have a liner with a top border, which with an overlap needs to be level or else it looks bad.

The 1" of overlap itself is fine. The liner does not "pull down" once it is stretched and full, the overlap is just to hold it in place.

However, given the seam issue, and the top border issue, I would drain and reset.

You don't have to coil the hose up underwater and then drag it out, you can just put one end in your pool and the other at a low point, then hold the end that is at the low point up high and fill that end with water, then drop it. That will start a syphon after a few tries. Or just put the end in the pool and attach the other end to a faucet, run water till it gets to the pool and then disconnect the hose from the faucet and drop the end. That will also start a syphon.

-dave

I also provided you the link of the liner tutitorial. Did you look at it?

My response to you yesterday:
Hello Tere. Hope you are enjoying the forum.

Please do not fret over the placement of the seam on the bottom. I can tell you when I did this thread, How to install an over lap liner., that the liner seam ran up the side of the wall a little bit. You can see in the pictures that the dolphins are not uniform and it is fine really, if it doesn't bug you. I would smooth the bottom as much as you can without stretching the liner way out. Gently pushing the liner from the middle of the pool towards the walls in all directions should be sufficient enough as I didn't even use a shop vac on this install.

As for your foam on the walls, trim the excess 2 inches from the top so you can put your stabilizer bars back on and it won't be so difficult. Also trim an inch around the skimmer and the return outlet to help seal it so it doesn't leak when you put your gaskets on.

I should have been more clear that the seam lie on the cove n it were ok if some of the seam were off and going up the wall. This happens when the bottoms of pools are not dished out. When I said to start in the middle n work your way to the walls getting wrinkles out, it should have been done evenly. Like you said, looks like you favored one side.

Thanks all. I wanted to roll in the water a bit but I went ahead and did the hose, then found an old fish pond pump.

Originally the bottom liner seam was even all around, high but even. The top design was even all around on inside and out side.
Favoring one side de wrinkling did it, sigh.

Casey I liked you tutorial. Maybe go back an add my mistake. First time pool newbies do all sorts of weird stuff.

round 2 did not go well either ( giving birth to my child was easier) but at least there is 2 inches overlap. I told my husband that's it. If it doesn't work it's craiglist or he can hire someone. The pool has 18 " of water and so far so good. The side with 2 in overlap is tight but no wall bowing with only metal coping and no top rail yet. The 2 seams going across the pool floor is not parallel. I tried using that as a marker.

- - - Updated - - -

I think what made this a HUGE struggle is the polystyrene floor. It sucks the liner to it making any moving of the liner stick to if. It also got dangerously hot (at 9 am) to touch the liner. I had to add an inch of water which made it cooler but just as hard to shift the liner.

You should be fine now with 2" of overlap on the one side. Can we see pics?

I've never used the foam board.

Casey / Kim I wonder if the foam board is the reason the liner sucked it self to the the foam it was like plastic wrap, yikes.

Here's the foam photo

11698577_10200606342318467_1347509986208023119_n_zpsjoohaefh.jpg Photo by Teresa_Lundquist | Photobucket

If it were sand perhaps the liner would have at least moved easier over the sand. I was trying to avoid the physical work of hauling sand on my trailer to a wheelbarrow then to pool area. Instead I wrestled the D#$% liner around on the foam 2 x ( 3 hrs it seemed each time) . I would have been better off with sand maybe even 1 " on top of foam even. I wanted the foam for insulation. The foam does feel super nice in the bottom. I gave up installing in barefeet ( burning hot in sun) or avoiding dings in the foam after my herd of goats paraded across the foam. They liked it ; )

Here is a photo of the 2 " liner . On the far right is the amount it hangs over. Above the skimmer opening I pushed it up to check something. It's actually 2-3 " over skimmer.

pump and filter 2_zpsamhd5bwg.jpg Photo by Teresa_Lundquist | Photobucket

Here is a top view of filter and pump possible placement:

pump filter place 1_zpszu783hn9.jpg Photo by Teresa_Lundquist | Photobucket

Which brings up just where to place the filter and pump? In the photo above the return is on the left and skimmer on right and the connections on the pump and filter would be happier it it was reversed I think.

Question:Do people leave a 2 ft distance between the pool and pump/filter so they can clean around the pool like with the long pole to brush? I can't imaging the equipment snug up against the pool but then again the deck ( 5ft x 10 ft hugging the pool) will be there. My son is a bilateral amputee below knees and needs a deck to change on.

I plan on making the hard PVC go all the way to the ground as I will possible trip if the pipes are off the ground. My balance is very bad. The pump / filter will be just slightly under the deck ( but maybe not under but beside) small one. I know I have to get in to clean pump basket, skimmer basket. I bought ball valve unions, union and lots of other PVC stuff.

Any ideas welcome.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I did not spring for the foam and I paid someone to put up my pool and install my liner so..........I don't know if it was the foam making it so hard.

I hope that your liner holds in that short spot. I would keep a VERY close eye on it as it fills with water.

Equipment- The skimmer and return are opposite of how mine is but it is what it is unless you want to put something over the return hole and drill a new one on other side of the skimmer. That is up to you.

-placement of equipment-mine is set by the pool but not SNUG up against it. Even if you do have it a distance from the pool you will still have to step over the pipes and I do NOT think that would be safe for me as I can just see myself tripping and messing me or the pool up. I just stand to one side of the equipment and brush, vacuum then hold the pole is such a way that I can walk around to the other side and finish up. That is only when I do not want to get in the water (too cold). Most of the time I just get in the pool to brush or vacuum.

-pipes and such-------make sure to get and use unions and valves to you can turn off the flow of water from the pool instead of lowering the water each time you need to clean the pump basket. UNIONS are VERY important for the future cleaning and working on the filter and pump.

-Under the skimmer and return-I dug down 1 inch the whole area under the skimmer and return and a little way around so I could put rocks down for overflowing water and just in case the pipes come off/out. I then put large stepping stones on top of it making sure they do NOT touch or rub the pool wall. I even put bricks on top of that just because I wanted to LOL

Kim

You can put the filter wherever you want - close to the pool, or far from it. It is not as if you have to stand in that EXACT spot to clean the pool in front of it. You clean around the pool until you get to the filter, then you rest the handle of the vac on the pool wall, walk around to the other side of the filter, and continue on your merry way. My filter is under my deck, sort of. It sticks out about half way, so I have access to the filter skimmer. I also reverse the bump handle so I can regen from outside the deck. I can take the top off my DE filter without removing it from its pad if I had to, but I never have to - I just pull it at the end of the season. As long as you leave your pump and filter close enough to the edge of the deck so you can reach it, you should be fine.

Excellent ideas but whew I think I need to dig down a little to put gravel. this is a low spot the collects a little water during heavy rain. I need to draw water further away. It could get muddy. I think I'll put them close to the pool.

The tightness of the liner at the short side is not to bad. The pool is filled to below the skimmer till it comes and looks good, np slack but the stretch is not to bad. The liner was 25 gauge and $119 so i won't be too upset if it goes.

Thanks for the comforting help. This pool install is a huge!!!! accomplishment consider i was in a wheelchair Dec 2013 from severe pain toxic antibiotic levaquin damaged legs and all connective tissue. This pool will be key to rehab

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.