Where to buy Dichlor

cw0904

Jul 15, 2013
East Meadow, NY
I can't for the life of me find on here what dichlor I should purchase. I recall that it shouldn't have calcium in it?? Does this still hold true? Is there a store I can purchase it from? I had purchased a bag from Amazon but I'd like to get the pool set up this weekend but am completely out of dichlor.

Just look in the pool section of the nearest big box store, and read ingredients on the various one-pound bags of 'shock' - you're looking for sodium dichloro-s-triazinetrione, without any other major active ingredients.

I'm reading from a bag I picked up at Ocean State Job Lot a month ago - not sure if that chain reaches into NY.

Dichlor is fine during startup, you just don't want to keep using it once your stabilizer (CYA) levels are high enough. Personally, I add stabilizer separately and use liquid chlorine right from the beginning after setting up our pool each year; but dichlor can be part of startup - I think I remember reading about that approach at the PoolForum website.

Please read this also

Pool School - Guide for Seasonal/Temporary Pools

I have used the dichlor for the first 4 days then switched over to bleach. It's worked very well for me thus far. I just wasn't sure if I can locate the actual dichlor in a store. I thought I read somewhere some dichlors have calcium in them but could be confusing it with something else. Either way thank you. I will do a search for my local stores and hope they carry it.

There are two common forms of powdered shock - dichlor (which has stabilizer along with chlorine) and cal-hypo (which adds calcium along with chlorine). Just get the one that has a label like the one I quoted earlier - no mention of calcium, and no other 'super duper enhanced' multi-function ingredients ��

You can find dichlor in the pool sections of most big box stores such as Home Depot, Walmart or farm/garden/hardware stores. Be sure to just get dichlor or "Dichloroisocyanuric acid" on the label. Do not use products that have any copper compounds listed on the packaging.

Usually, but not always, Dichlor is called "chlorinating granules" or "stabilized chlorinating granules" or "granular chlorine". Definitely check the ingredients for "Sodium Dichloro-s-Triazinetrione" or "Sodium dichloroisocyanurate dihydrate" or something similar with "dichlor" in it and it normally is around 99% concentration and may also separately say 56% Available Chlorine.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.