Cloudy issue

Jul 10, 2015
Louisville Ky
First of all, I'm a newbie to this site as far as posting but I have been a reader for a good while. I have read many many helpful post on this site and with that I was able to solve most of my pool issues. With that thanks to all the good info...55wildcat

Now I need more help.. I have been having cloudy issues for a while now along with chalky milk like residue. With
all the good info I have changed to liquid 10% chlorine for shock and sanitizing, hence the chalking and milk like stuff has stopped..Now back to the cloudy issues, I just last week tried some alum to help clear pool up, Filtered for a couple of hours, let it set overnight then trued to vac which did nothing but really get cloudy because I have no waste on a cartridge filter. I know now not I should not have added alum. After a few more days of frustration I drained pool 3/4 way down ( don't panic, done this last year getting CYA down) and re filled. Today is the 4th day of this fresh water and it's still not clear. I can look hard and see the bottom but it is nowhere near crystal clear..Will this alum eventually filter out?

My numbers as of this morning are

FC..3.6
CC..0.0
PH..7.4
ALK..80
CYA..35
CH..140

Thanks for any help..

Welcome to TFP! Well, other than your FC, your numbers look pretty good. Probably good you did a large drain, so I would think that would help several things. Really not sure about the Alum residue that "may" still be behind, or if it's influencing your water still. More than anything right now, your FC is a bit low. Your target is around 4-5, and I would never go below that, especially if it's as hot in your area as I think it is.

Others may have more experience with Alum, but in the meantime, I would simply say for tonight, do an Pool School - Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT). Follow those instructions carefully. Right now though, pump your FC up to about 8-10. Keep it there until dark when you do your first OLCT (FC) reading. Between the cloudiness and OCLT, you may find that you need to do a Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.