Did my PB do my steel steps wrong if they sound hollow when stepped on?

Jul 10, 2015
Chadds Ford, PA
Hi all,
I am a new pool owner; we designed and built the pool last summer. It was a tedious process and I didn't know much about what I was doing and for budget friendly and timeliness reasons, we went with a liner pool. We had originally been told we would be swimming by mid July last summer, but alas, due to weather, etc, they didn't come to dig until mid September. We got to look at it and close it up (we never even got in it much to my 2 toddlers dismay). This year they have been more than making up for it and are loving it. I didn't have the best experience with my local pool company and was more disappointed than I was satisfied. My husband, REALLY didn't want the plastic molded stairs as kids and grandmothers seem to congregate on them and we have a neighbor kid with Muscular dystrophy and my husband wanted to make sure he had a wide berth to enter the pool. The stairs look great from a far and it gives the look of a gunite pool. The PB did say that the liner over the stairs could be slippery and may stretch/pull away, but we haven't had any of those problems (I don't think the PB really wanted to do it as it was more custom, but we insisted and they did it (we did find out afterwards that this was the first time they had ever done them). However, ourselves and everyone who comes over asks us the same question about our steel stairs in the shallow end. Shouldn't the pool owners back-filled the stairs so they don't sound "hollow"? I don't know the answer. It doesn't sound very secure/solid/substantial, but I try to get over it. But at an additional $3,000 upgrade, I feel I should LOVE them. Fat chance of actually having them do anything about it, but for my own edification, is there anyone out there who has had a similar experience that you could share with me? I would appreciate it! I also worry b/c a good portion of the CST pavers collapsed over our last winter and our hardscaper had to come back this May and replace the sand and rock underneath them after all of the settling. The PB blamed he hardscaper and the hardscaper blamed the PB. I am afraid that since there is obviously a lack of support under the steel stairs that in years to come they may bend/sag or the pavers there may collapse again. Looks great now (even if it doesnt sound great), but long term, are we in for it?

Welcome to TFP, Sorry to hear about your less than ideal PB experience.

Is there anyway you could post some pictures of your pool and the steps and pavers in question ? There are some pretty savvy pool experts on here and I'm sure they will weigh in on your situation.
Thanks and again, welcome

My pool builder uses the steel steps with a liner in their normal base price. Ours were not backfilled behind the stairs either. I would have preferred that they did, but like you I did not know enough to ask for that while it was under construction. Ours was completed in May of this year.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.