Burying Our Doughboy

Cherie

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 23, 2008
Wylie, Texas
I tooks tons of pictures of every step from the first dig through the water-fill. It was so much fun to watch (and supervise LOL) and we're very glad that we chose to have ours buried. We will have to take extra precautions since we opted for a near full bury. But it's still worth it. We're looking forward to this summer, now that BBB has provided us with an easy-to-maintain pool! (hope the link below works)

http://photobucket.com/Doughboy_album

Wow, great presentation! Can I borrow your soundtrack :)?

Y'all did a great job. Let's swap out on pool parties this summer, eh? Y'all are only about 30-40 minutes from us!

I really enjoy getting on this site and visiting everyone's pools and watching their bacquacil conversions etc. I'm referring everyone I can to this site both BEFORE they get their pool and those who've had pools for years!

Catch ya later...

Hey! You guys used a Bobcat. Thats just not right. I used a shovel and wheelbarrow and a week's vacation. The twentysomethings decided not to hang around that week. It was only a 12 by 24 so the hole was 16 by 28 and only about 28 inches deep. Still, it makes my summer projects this year seem to be rather mundane.

Hey Tcian! I could have thought of LOTS of other things to spend that week's vacation on :wink: But if it'll make you feel any better, I spent a LOT of time standing out in that hot sun "supervising" those guys... :-D

We hired a backhoe excavator to dig the hole, and it was amazing how fast he whipped out all that hard clay. Well worth the money, because it would have taken us a month of sundays.
But we did the sand backfill and landscaping with "Big Silver"- our 1970's era 100hp tractor that leaks hydraulic fluid like a sieve. My husband drives, but he is blind as to what is happening on the ground- the bucket and blade block his view. I am the ground crew- I direct every motion of the bucket and blade from the ground using hand signals and a hoe. The hoe is for banging on tractor to get his attention when he is about to run me down. It has a huge diesel engine, and is so loud that he cannot hear me (that and he is half deaf- too many loud 8-track tapes in his youth).
The picture below shows the tractor being used to add back sand. The box blade is not on it in this one. It adds another six feet of length when it is.
The rock work around the pool took us a week of vacation, and other than moving piles of rock closer to the pool with the tractor, most of it was done by hand. I still have bad dreams about that.

Attachments

• P1000652small.JPG
    P1000652small.JPG
    195.4 KB · Views: 457
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.