cloudy ubove ground pool

Welcome to the forum. I would advise you give us the test results you have and consider ordering one of our recommended test kits.

total chlorine: 9.2
Free " " : 9.2
ph: 7.7
Tot Alk 135
Tot Hardness 154

Added muriatic acid to get ph down a little. Will get a good test kit as soon as I can afford. Husband was just let go from his job and we are in a tight place right now

Good morning Carmen. It looks like you are trying to get some numbers from your test strips. So you may think chlorine is high, when actually it is not. So the cloudiness could be from an algae bloom, or could be from something else in the water, but the proper test readings are what will tell us for sure. The proper test kit (i.e. TF-100 – link below) is the foundation of your pool care. Why this kit? We've learned through personal experience that you cannot reply on pool store testing, test strips, or simple over-the-counter kits. They simply do not read Free Chlorine (FC) or Cyanuric Acid (CYA) levels accurately or to the high levels we need. If you do not have a TF-100 or Taylor K2006 test kit, it should be your #1 priority.

Please try to obtain either the TF-100 or Taylor K-2006 from TFTestkits.net so we can help you. Also, take a peek at the Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart which might explain why an FC of 10 is not always a bad thing. The FC must match your current CYA, and those test kits we recommend will give you those results.

Hope this helps you. Let us know if you have any more questions. Have a nice day.

Hi Carmen,
cloudiness is usually caused by the beginnings of an algae bloom.
The other reasons is for calcium precipitation or addition of some of the pool store snake oils.

In one of your posts, you report hardness (which is calcium) as 154 and then again at 1000. Thats just not possible as you have to add calcium for it to go up.
anyways....

Most lilely the cloudiness is due to algae, but hard to cofirm that without a proper test kit.
However, the cure, is to kill the algae with chlorine and filter the dead algae out of the pool.

Welcome to TFP!

+1 that cloudy is algae. Algae is caused by lack of chlorine in the pool in relation to the CYA level in the pool. Chlorine level is set based on CYA and the Chlorine CYA Chart. Always keep chlorine at or above target level.

Get one of the Recommended Test Kits, I use the TF100 from TFTestkits.net.

When you get it give us some test results and get ready to SLAM Your Pool.

Here are some of my fave Pool School articles to read while you wait for your test kit.
TFPC for Beginners
ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry

Here are the Recommended Levels for your pool.
Here are the Recommended Pool Chemicals and how to add them.
Use PoolMath to figure out how much to add.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.