How to fix these?

May 15, 2014
St. Louis, Mo
We have a fiberglass pool that was installed last Fall. We used travertine tiles for coping and glass tiles as waterline tiles. I noticed some possible problems and the pool builder claims that the glass tile issue is normal and the travertine grout cracks can be fixed by simply filling them. I somewhat disagree with him and need your opinions to understand what is going on with the tiles.

Also, small bubbles come out of the return lines and there are bubbles in the pump basket. The pool builder said it is also normal and the bubbles are generated by the salt generator. What do you think?
Thanks in advance for your input.

Re: New pool with problems

I had some gorgeous copper colored glass tiles put in my kitchen backsplash and I recall at the time the installer saying that glass requires a different thin set or stuff buttered on the back than other tiles. Could that be the issue? Or was that just for appearance of the various tones in the glass tiles to show best?

Is your SWG on the intake or outlet side of your pump? I'm pretty sure the order is pump to filter to SWG (at least that's how mine is). Bubbles in the pump basket aren't normal. That could be something as simple as the basket lid gasket needing some lube to help seal completely.

I had some gorgeous copper colored glass tiles put in my kitchen backsplash and I recall at the time the installer saying that glass requires a different thin set or stuff buttered on the back than other tiles. Could that be the issue? Or was that just for appearance of the various tones in the glass tiles to show best?
They used a white adhesive to attach the tiles to pool wall. It looked okay last Fall, but recently the discoloration occurred. I am afraid it is due to water getting behind the tiles as there is condensation and possibly mold. The sad thing is the pool builder thinks it is normal.

Is your SWG on the intake or outlet side of your pump? I'm pretty sure the order is pump to filter to SWG (at least that's how mine is). Bubbles in the pump basket aren't normal. That could be something as simple as the basket lid gasket needing some lube to help seal completely.
It is on the outlet side of the pump. The pool builder said the salt generator is causing the air bubbles in the return lines, but I still see air bubbles when the swg is off. The annoying thing is that whenever I notice something and mention it to the pool guy, he claims it is normal and makes me feel like I am nitpicking.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Here are some close up photos of the tiles. As you see, glass tiles look pretty bad. Is there a way to fix them without redoing the whole thing? Can the crack in the travertine grout be fixed by filling or does it need to be replaced? Thanks.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 68
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 68
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 69
I know very little about installing glass tiles, but I would start by finding the tile manufacturers installation specifications and instructions for required type and method of applying the thin set and the grout.

One item that you may or may not be able to or want to address is the final install. IMO the tiles were not installed in what I would consider a workman like manner, and some of the gaps around various tiles may not meet the specifications.

Good luck with the builder.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.