Trouble with salt qty to add

Edd

Mar 23, 2015
Dallas, TX
Hi - So the pool has been shocked (FC was at .4) and cleaned and is relatively clear (minus the cloudiness from the shock). Do I need to wait a few hours and check the FC again to determine how much salt to add? It's currently at 0 as the pool was run without using the SWG before we bought the house. The pool math calc says to add 803lbs in that case…yikes.

PS: Hoping to swim this Saturday!

if you enter your volume in pool calculator it will tell you to add 1.8 gal of 8.25% bleach like the great value from wal-mart regular unscented, and 120 oz by weight of CYA

- - - Updated - - -

remember if you add the 803 lb of salt (yikes) you need to keep the swg off for 24 h, do you have the recommended test kits? I have this two and very happy ( TF100 test kit, K-1766 Taylor salt test)

- - - Updated - - -

one more thing, if the pool was having pucks before, your CYA may not be 0, so I will wait for the recommended test kit to arrive before adding CYA at all

Hello Edd,

You need to add your pool particulars to your sig so we know what we are working with.
Also need a complete set of numbers and what test kit you are using.
FC
CC
PH
ALK
CYA

Also you said pool is cloudy from shock, what did you shock with ?
As Piolin pointed out, if you could please read pool school, we would have a better idea what we are dealing with and the correct way to go.
I know it sounds like beating a dead horse, BUT a proper test kit is SO important, otherwise it's like shooting in the dark. ;)

Anyway, we're here to help all we can, if you can give us some more info to go on. We are standing by :D

FC: 11
PH: 7.5
TA: 60
CYA: 32

It was shocked with cal hypo (56%) only about an hr ago.

Pool is 30k gallons
Pentair FNS Plus filter
Aqua Rite salt controller w/Turbo Cell
The pump label is faded and scratched so I cannot tell

Thanks Edd, that helps
Generally we suggest adding liquid chlorine or plain old bleach, as cal-hypo adds calcium to your pool, which overtime builds up to high levels. Not real important if you have a vinyl liner. Your CYA level is lower than the suggested levels for SWG pools (60-80 is recommended).
The relationship between CYA and chlorine is important as you can see in POOL SCHOOL.
TA and PH are good, although at the low end of suggested levels.

As far as adding salt, try to stay 200 -400 PPM ABOVE optimum level for your unit. Whatever pool math says for that number you would add and not run SWG for 24 hours to allow salt to mix in well.

I would suggest adding granular stabilizer to raise CYA and add salt, maybe half the amount now and the rest tomorrow. brush the salt on the bottom and it will dissolve quickly.

In the meantime see what pool math says your FC level should be for your CYA level and just add bleach to maintain that level till SWG is ready to go.

Based on your numbers and if your water is clear, Swimming should be no problem this weekend.
Hope that helps

- - - Updated - - -

I might add, if you have any Tri chlor, you can add it instead of bleach, as it will raise your CYA, which in your case would be good. Just don't use it long term

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi Edd,
yes, you need to run the pump and let the salt mix for 24 hrs prior to turning on the SWG. I belive this is what the SWG manufacturer recommends in the owner manual.
If the salt isn't mixed well enough, the swg wont produce chlorine.

When you say trichlor, what will I look for at the store?

Trichlor is the tablets that come in a bucket. You can buy them at Walmart/Home Depot/Pool Store/etc. If you do not already have any, I think the experts here would advise you just buy liquid chlorine and the powder stabilizer/conditioner - because the bucket of pucks are expensive compared to liquid chlorine and continued use of the pucks will raise your CYA past the recommended level.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.