Concrete finish options?

H2O_Keeper

LifeTime Supporter
Nov 8, 2008
SW Indiana
I have a concrete/vinyl pool and the pool has a four foot perimeter around it that is all concrete. It is very dull and old looking. I just want to finish the pool area, not the pool itself. Exploring options and have some questions:

1. Painting - If I paint it what is the expectation for it to hold up (ie if I start this willl I have to repaint every few years)? I am assuming the bond breaks down over time.

2. Cleaning - Is there any chemicals that will just remove the "dirt" looking finish in it. Some kind of stripper? If I do this do I need to seal it back with something?

3. Tiles - I live in the midwest and we see single digit temps in the winter. IF I was to do some form of tiles do they hold up in freezing weather.

Anyone have any experience with these options and tips for it?

Pressure washing should be your first step. You'll have to do it regardless of what you plan to do to the concrete in order to prepare it, and it might brighten it up enough to suit you. Just be careful not to get too aggresive with the pressure. It will cut the concrete.

Without going into a exhaustive list:
#1. Regardless of what "paint" you use, it will need to be refreshed. Is your deck smooth or "brush finished".
#2. Yes, there are cleaning compounds, but as JohnT noted, pressure wash first. TSP can help.
#3. Any tile you use must be frostproof, and you should be very careful about putting slippery surfaces down. I would suggest travertine or Artistic Pavers, or some other decking paver. "Tile" is not what you want to walk on! :mrgreen:

My Finish it kinda in the middle, its not brushed but is kinda porous looking. Where can I buy TSP? I've never noticed in a hardware but then again I was not actively searching for it.

I like your ideas to do a good power wash clean with some chems and see where things go from there. Still cold here, will probably be a few weeks before I can do this step and report back. Please advise on where to buy the goods.

Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.