Stenner Install and Bleach Storage Tank

Inflatableman1

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 1, 2015
Playa Coronado/Panama
I'm leaning hard towards a Stenner for chlorine addition. I only have 5.25% bleach available so I have to do a fair bit of hauling. We also travel a fair bit. I would like to simplify this with automation. I have high power costs and soft stone in my pool so will not be going the SWG route. I also want something simple and easy. Here is a picture of all my automation.

I run my pump on the timer a minimum time each day just to keep the power bill down. We still quite often run the pump when we are in the pool, or even in the yard, just for the water noise with the overflow edge. So no shortage of pump run time, but only a couple of hours per day on the timer.

I think bleach usage will be in the neighbourhood of a 1 to 1-1/2 gallons a day on average. Let's say worst case 2 gallons if I buy a weak batch.

A Stenner 45MPHP22 (high pressure, fixed rate) does about a gallon an hour. So three hours of pool pump run time will easily cover worst case two hours of Stenner run time.

So my plan will be to run my Stenner with an independent timer (such as the popular Woods one I have seen here) while my pool pump is running. It is my understanding that I can add another set of pins to my existing Intermatic timer to enable me to run my pool pump twice in a 24 hour period. I can then split my chlorine injection over two periods. Does anyone see any major issues with this?

Next, for a tank... we bought one of these for dog food recently (works well btw, 35 USD at our Costco equivalent):

Vittles Vault

The site says "The Vittles Vault is manufactured from FDA approved high-density polyethylene (HDPE), which is used throughout the "human" food industry". Does anyone know if this would be capable of containing chlorine? The size and shape is nice for the space I have to work with, and if I want to increase storage I could just add another side by side and split my suction. The wide opening would be handy for filling, no funnel required and such.

So that's my base plan at the moment. Heading to Canada next week for a couple of weeks and will hand carry the pump back (and some TF goodies). Any input is greatly appreciated.

I forgot to mention that everything will be indoors.

Last edited:
Stenner has a 15 gallon tank that you can also mount the pump to. Google stenner pumps and get to their website. The tank you mention looks like it has way too many points that could leak, and with bleach you do not want that. You also want one opening at the top to pour bleach into.

I have zero experience with indoor pools. Someone else should chime in.

(1) If this is an indoor pool, why would you expect the chlorine consumption to require 1-2 gallons of chlorine (5%) per day? Your pool is listed in your signature line as being 25,000 gallons. I have a 20,000 gallon outdoor pool in Tucson with no shade and use at most 50-60 oz of 10% chlorine with full sun and air temps of 102-107 deg F all day. I would expect your chlorine consumption to be much less. On cloudy days, I use very little chlorine.

(2) Have you been manually adding liquid chlorine? If not, would suggest you do that for a week or so to understand your usage before settling on pump size, tank size and pump on time.

(3) See no issue with your plan, although agree with gary300 on ensuring a tank with good integrity.

Gary

I see no need for the additional timer. It is just a point of faliure for the two timers to get out of sync. When I did my Stenner Pump Install I just slaved off the primary timer so that anytime the pool pump is running the Stenner is running. The Stenner has an on/off switch on the top so that you can shut it down manually if you want to.

Hi Tim. Is tying the Stenner to the primary timer reasonably simple? I guess I was thinking that I would have the primary pump run for a bit after the Stenner shut down. But maybe not necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If the pool timer/pump and the Stenner are boththe same voltage then yes, its a piece of cake. Look at my photos and you see the wires coming off the timer going to a receptacle that the Stenner plugs into.

I like the two timer setup, however, I recommend getting a timer with two (or more) circuits that can be independently programmed. That way they can't get out of sync. the Intermatic ET1125C or the P1353ME or P153 would work great.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.