Best Pool Water Tester

Jul 9, 2015
Pittsford, NY
I think it's finally time for me to stop taking my samples to the local pool store for testing. I have always wondered about the times I would get my water tested one week apart, and suddenly my pH would suddenly drop after I just added pH+, etc. Today I went in, got a sample tested, and the numbers didn't make sense at all. Before I was almost convinced to buy $75 worth of chemicals to fix it, I asked him to run it again, and all the values were in spec.

I want to buy my own pool tester, and test the water on my own from now on. This way, I can run the test several times, take averages, and trust the values much more. What do you guys suggest as the best water tester out there? I imagine I would want to sample for FAC, CC, Alkalinity, pH, CYA, or any other important parameters you suggest.

Thanks for the advice.

Hi, welcome to TFP! Most of us here will recommend the TF 100 . It is a FAS/DPD test kit that will test FC CC TA CH CYA and pH. It has the larger bottles of reagent and you can order the XL version of the TF 100 that has even more reagent. A good test kit is an investment in the quality of your pool. With a high quality test kit you will be able to test FC values greater than 10ppm, which is important if you ever need to go through the slam process to clear an algae laden pool.

TF testkits ships quickly and most arrive within a few days of being ordered. They also offer the Speed Stir, which makes testing CH easier and more consistent. Instead of swirling the test by hand drop after drop you use the Speed Stir and it keeps the solution swirling while you count and add drops.

I would avoid electronic testing devices since they need frequent calibration to ensure accuracy. We never recommend test strips except specific tests for salt or borates.

Can you tell the difference between pink and clear? If so you can do the cholrine test. You can do the CYA test as well. The pH test is out though. The TA test goes from dark green to pink.

How would you be able to tell if your pool is turning green? You have extra incentive to take control of your testing. is there anyone else in your household that can help you for a few minutes a week?

- - - Updated - - -

have you looked at apps that have color extractors? can convert a color to a black and white pattern readout, I think.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.givewaygames.colorblind_ads&hl=en

the pH test is too fine for that to work, but it might help with the TA test.

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.color-blindness.com/2010/12/13/20-iphone-apps-for-the-color-blind/

If there is anybody that can help, or you can tell the differences in the tests BuckeyeChris mentioned then the TF-100 is your best option. It contains very accurate tests and that is why the majority of us use it. If you are not able to get someone to help you with testing then the ColorQ is the next option. It is a digital readout but has been found to typically be much less accurate than advertised. It is just about the only choice on the market for someone who can't read the tests included with the TF-100.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.