Why does my Raypak Heater Cycle off too soon?

hanesian

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 10, 2013
Eagan, Minnesota
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Hoping someone might have some suggestions to help me identify/troubleshoot my heater problem.

I have a Rheem/Raypak 206A heater that recently began mysteriously cycling off prematurely. It will fire up and run fine for up to about 3 minutes, sometimes much less, and then cycle off and not restart unless I manually turn the temperature knob down to almost zero, and then back up to the red zone. Then it will fire up again for a few minutes and shut off again. In the meantime my pool temp has fallen from the low 80s to the low 70s and still it won't stay running, leaving me with a very chilly pool.

I've backwashed the filter well, and verified that I'm getting good flow from the pump through the system. I presume a thermostat or similar part needs replacing, but cannot really tell from the manual the likely culprit.

Does anyone have any suggestion for most likely places to start troubleshooting this?

Thanks in advance.

Do not adjust the pressure switch. When they come from the factory they are set as they should be. The little dial is sort of locked in place. The only time you need to adjust this part is if the pool/spa sits way above the heater and the force of the downward pressure of the water could trigger the heater. So no need to adjust this at all. Plus you already cleaned the filter per your message so you eliminated that as an issue.

Since you have a dial on yours, you have a much older unit. What's the exact model number of it? You could have an issue with the thermostat board or the temp sensor.

Paul,

It could be old - we bought the house a few years ago so don't know the exact age.

The label identifies it as model # P-M206A-MN-C

Thanks for any further feedback!

Do not adjust the pressure switch. When they come from the factory they are set as they should be. The little dial is sort of locked in place. The only time you need to adjust this part is if the pool/spa sits way above the heater and the force of the downward pressure of the water could trigger the heater. So no need to adjust this at all. Plus you already cleaned the filter per your message so you eliminated that as an issue.

Since you have a dial on yours, you have a much older unit. What's the exact model number of it? You could have an issue with the thermostat board or the temp sensor.

Strangest thing - the heater seems to be cycling and functioning properly again. Don't know why it stopped for several days, don't know why it started back up again. Just hoping it continues.

Sometimes I feel like Columbus in the old joke:Before he left he didn't know where he was going, when he got there he didn't know where he was, and once he left he didn't know where he had been. :confused:

But better to have things good and not know why, then have things bad and know why. I guess.

Thanks for the help. Don't be surprised if I'm back with the same issue some day though!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.